1974 Larson 175

axelthrasher

Recruit
Hi,

I just picked this boat up and I am planning some upgrades/modernizations for this. I am a huge gear-head when it comes to cars and motorcycles, and I know how similar this 120hp i4 engine is to the GM counterpart. I started with a running boat, so I am just going to try to make it as reliable as possible and tune it up. I am planning on replace the ignition coil with an MSD Blaster, some new MSD plug wires, new spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change/filter. Is there anything else that I need to be concerned with in owning an older boat? I hear the Alpha 1 lower was recently rebuilt, the rubber and gaskets look/feel newer, so I am not overly concerned about that.

Basically this thing needs a cleanup, and some modernization. I am thinking of doing the interior on the boat to make it feel a little newer, including a new aluminum dash plate with possibly some new gauges - depending on how difficult they may be to swap... so, I am looking for some info on what I have planned, and anything else I should be taking care of at this point.

Thanks!

Attachments

• boatA.jpg
    boatA.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2
  • boatB.jpg
    boatB.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Nice looking boat! The traffic in this Larson forum is rather light, so you might try posting your tune-up questions in the Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives forum. The engine and drive are common to many boats besides the Larson, so you'll get lots of good help there.

If you do decide to do some restoration, the place to go is the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum (aka "the Dry Dock"); if you're lucky, you might even find someone who's worked on that same boat. Tons of good info and lots of helpful folks in that forum, too.

Welcome to Iboats!