Switch for Dual Fuel Tanks

jforrest1

Seaman
I just purchased a 2002 Larson Cabrio 310 and it seems to be drawing fuel only from the port fuel tank. Is there a switch to select both tanks somewhere? Maybe I have a fuel pump issue if there is not a switch. I recall the generator works off the starboard tank and that does operate. Thanks for any help here!

jforrest1

Seaman
Heard back from Larson and there is no switch the tanks are suppose to drain simultaneously...so I guess I have a gauge or sending unit issue.

alldodge

Staff member
I just purchased a 2002 Larson Cabrio 310 and it seems to be drawing fuel only from the port fuel tank. Is there a switch to select both tanks somewhere? Maybe I have a fuel pump issue if there is not a switch. I recall the generator works off the starboard tank and that does operate. Thanks for any help here!

Heard back from Larson and there is no switch the tanks are suppose to drain simultaneously...so I guess I have a gauge or sending unit issue

:welcome: to iboats

From the description you have a twin engine setup with a generator. So your generator and starboard engine comes out of the starboard tank. The port engine comes out of the port tank. If you use your generator then the starboard tank will go down quicker then the port.

If your port gauge is not moving then I would agree you have a gauge or sender issue.

How long have you had the boat and what is the issue with the gauge?

jforrest1

Seaman
:welcome: to iboats

From the description you have a twin engine setup with a generator. So your generator and starboard engine comes out of the starboard tank. The port engine comes out of the port tank. If you use your generator then the starboard tank will go down quicker then the port.

If your port gauge is not moving then I would agree you have a gauge or sender issue.

How long have you had the boat and what is the issue with the gauge?

Correct., generator runs off from starboard tank. The starboard fuel gauge does not move and stays at half a tank. I got the boat late last season and probably didn't put 10 hours on her. Usually what I've read is gauge is on full or empty but this stays at half. The port tank went down so the starboard tank should have also.

alldodge

Staff member
Correct., generator runs off from starboard tank. The starboard fuel gauge does not move and stays at half a tank. I got the boat late last season and probably didn't put 10 hours on her. Usually what I've read is gauge is on full or empty but this stays at half. The port tank went down so the starboard tank should have also.

Might just need to replace the sender. I replaced them for a guy with a 40ft Regal, it was easy enough. You could swap the senders to see if it's the sender or the gauge

jforrest1

Seaman
The actual swap might be easy enough but the access for the starboard tank is going to be difficult. There is a small hatch which gains access to the top of the tank. Unfortunately to gain access to that hatch, I have to go through the small opening underneath the helm seat which is used primarily for storage. I think I will have to remove the helm seat as that opening is going to be too narrow to get my head, shoulders and arms through to get close enough to go through the other hatch and still reach the sending unit. Port side is no problem as access is through storage under seat.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, boats are fun to play on but a b**ch to work on

jforrest1

Seaman
I'm thinking the engineer who designed that was a jockey in his former life!

jforrest1

Seaman
Now I'm sure all of you have been wondering how this all turned out...This spring I went to the marina storage garage where "Blue Moon" was napping over the winter to wax the hull. For a couple of weekends, I brought down 30 gallons at a pop and put it into the starboard tank. Thought I'd try this before I got too carried away. I launched on May 1st and was happy to see the gauge was working properly. Must have got locked up sitting for almost two years without use before I bought it. We'll see if it gets snagged in that same area...