Larson 330 Cabrio - 2000; cabin door rail/track

Status
Not open for further replies.

red.donzi

Cadet
Have run into an issue with the cabin door, the top track that the door is mounted on has come loose and there is an obstruction (which I assume is a screw) preventing the door from closing all the way. This door slides open to the port side, and it does not appear there is any (easy) way to access the door rail without completely dismantling the bulkhead.

Anyone run into similar issues with this model Larson?

Onstryke

Recruit
Re: Larson 330 Cabrio - 2000; cabin door rail/track

Have run into an issue with the cabin door, the top track that the door is mounted on has come loose and there is an obstruction (which I assume is a screw) preventing the door from closing all the way. This door slides open to the port side, and it does not appear there is any (easy) way to access the door rail without completely dismantling the bulkhead.

Anyone run into similar issues with this model Larson?

Did you have any luck? I have same problem now

red.donzi

Cadet

Did you have any luck? I have same problem now

The Larson dealer said it would 2 days labor to completely dismantle the exterior (there is no easy way to get to the track without literally most of the cockpit apart) in order to access. He was not even a fan of doing the work and suggested I take the project on with a buddy. He said nothing really hard just time consuming. Knowing my limitations, I had my local guy take a look at it and he came up with a great and easy fix; he cut a little access hole on the port side of the under the windshield, and was able to fix the problem. The best $300 I have ever spent. He put a cover on it and you would think it was part of original design. I can send a picture if it would help.

Onstryke

Recruit

The Larson dealer said it would 2 days labor to completely dismantle the exterior (there is no easy way to get to the track without literally most of the cockpit apart) in order to access. He was not even a fan of doing the work and suggested I take the project on with a buddy. He said nothing really hard just time consuming. Knowing my limitations, I had my local guy take a look at it and he came up with a great and easy fix; he cut a little access hole on the port side of the under the windshield, and was able to fix the problem. The best $300 I have ever spent. He put a cover on it and you would think it was part of original design. I can send a picture if it would help.
Thanks for replying, yes a pic would help, also what was the problem?

Thanks again!
Greg

red.donzi

Cadet

Thanks for replying, yes a pic would help, also what was the problem?

Thanks again!
Greg

Pretty simple problem; one of the screws holding down the top rail worked its way out and became stuck blocking the track/rail.
Door would close halfway and then hit the screw.
If you can reach in and wiggle the track, this is your problem.
Off topic, have your interior cabin lights fallen apart?

Onstryke

Recruit

Pretty simple problem; one of the screws holding down the top rail worked its way out and became stuck blocking the track/rail.
Door would close halfway and then hit the screw.
If you can reach in and wiggle the track, this is your problem.
Off topic, have your interior cabin lights fallen apart?

Thanks again, it is what I expected, but can't see which screw even with my camera snake, so wondering where to drill the hole. A pic would be great, if easier email it to my direct email greg@onstryke.com.

Lights aren't great quality but are working fine, had to replace a bunch of other stuff though...

Appreciate your help!

Greg

Jerry1950

Recruit
I am having the same problem on a 1996 larson 310 that the cabin door will not slide. Any info and pictures would be a great help. Where was the hole cut and how large?
Thans
Jerry

Jerry1950

Recruit
I am having the same problem on a 1996 larson 310 that the cabin door will not slide. Any info and pictures would be a great help. Where was the hole cut and how large?
Thanks
Jerry

willijaccs

Recruit
Thans
Jerry

Jerry1950, I also have a '96 310 Cabrio with a difficult cabin door. It seems the tracks are worn out, it opens and slides decent if I push up from underneath the door while sliding it open/closed but I can't find any replacement parts. Does anyone know where I could find track parts for this repair?

OutTilMooring

Recruit
This same issue happened on my 2004 330 Larson Cabrio recently and thought I would update the post to perhaps help someone else. The cabin door would only open half way and then was stuck. Using the advise of this thread and a Rigid "In-Wall"camera I could NOT clearly see the obstruction by inserting the camera "botton hooked" and sliding the door open and closed. So after much thought and some time passed (using the half open door as a diet plan) I decided to cut the hole, there was no way I was going to disassemble the port side back to behind the cockpit fridge and try to get that back on and caulked.

At this point I was shopping for a tray like piece to fill the hole once cut. I looked for a rectangular tray with a lip to fill the hole, and eventually settled on a magnetic parts tray https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL2C2CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that would be useful to hold keys, loose change, sunglasses, etc. So after cutting the hole, and had a clear view, it confirmed the camera was right, no obstruction to be found in that area. It turns out, the obstruction was under the first starboard track guide. So by measuring the distance to the middle of the track rail with a tape measure and then transposing that on the top (measure twice here, but the goal is to find the center of the track rail, give yourself enough room to slide the door a bit to get to both of the guide screws with one hole). I drilled ONE 3/16" hole, and used that hole to remove the first guide screw, then slide the door to get the second guide screw out. You need a skinny, and slightly longer Phillips screw driver for this step. Once the guide was loose, I was able to slide the door past the obstruction, and sure enough a track screw was laying in the center of the track. I remove the screw and started to position the guide to put screws back in the guide, this was a bit "surgery like" but was not too bad; using the same single drilled hole, I positioned the guide (blue lock tight, for crying out loud) the screws and screwed them back into the guide. I did not put the loose track screw back in the same hole, the track was still plenty tight without it. I did not need to cut the big hole in front of the map holder, it was not what fixed the problem for me; but I do have a nice magnet tray there now. (which btw there is enough depth for the magnets to fit). After caulking in the tray, and placing a weight in it, the job was done. This is a minimum of a 4 hands, 4 eye job, lucky for me I had 2 slip neighbors friends to help. Moral: Larson needs to use blue lock tight on these screws since they are buried with little access. I simply filled the hole I drilled with a stainless steel screw to fill that hole.

Just wanted to share that if the obstruction is in an area such as mine (more on the starboard side of the door) it can be fixed with 1 small drill hole, and some patience. Since the door now opens up all the way again, its time to fire up the grill, "the half open door diet is over"!

OTM

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please keep in mind;

90daysold.PNG

Thanks for your fix and it is now part of the archives. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.