Hampton 220

On_plane

Cadet
Hi guys,

After extensive searching, I believe I've decided to buy a Larson Hampton 220, either. 1993 or 94 model (due to budget). There are currently 3 contenders. Couple of quick questions:

-These boats are 23' long, 8'6" beam, with a separate head etc. Yet both iboats specs and Nada guides lists them as 3300 lbs dry weight. Obviously real weight will be more, but that seems light for a boat this size. Am I missing something?

-One boat has a Merc 7.4 with Bravo III, 300 hrs, fresh water use so far, but I would be using it in salt, so I would have to do required maintenance to prevent the corrosion issues on the Bravo. Another boat has a Volvo 5.7 with Volvo duo prop (drive new in 2010) all fresh water so far, with about 500 hrs. The third has a Merc 5.0 with Alpha 1, fresh water only. I'm leaning towards the Volvo, as I think the extra weight and grunt of the 7.4 might be unnecessary and use a bit more fuel...thoughts? All boats seem to be well maintained and in really good condition for their age. 2 of them were trailered boats.

-Any other comments about these boats?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Hi guys,

After extensive searching, I believe I've decided to buy a Larson Hampton 220, either. 1993 or 94 model (due to budget). There are currently 3 contenders. Couple of quick questions:

-These boats are 23' long, 8'6" beam, with a separate head etc. Yet both iboats specs and Nada guides lists them as 3300 lbs dry weight. Obviously real weight will be more, but that seems light for a boat this size. Am I missing something?

A manufacture base weight is determined from the standard package. The 7.4 would be an option upgrade but would not be listed separate.

-One boat has a Merc 7.4 with Bravo III, 300 hrs, fresh water use so far, but I would be using it in salt, so I would have to do required maintenance to prevent the corrosion issues on the Bravo. Another boat has a Volvo 5.7 with Volvo duo prop (drive new in 2010) all fresh water so far, with about 500 hrs. The third has a Merc 5.0 with Alpha 1, fresh water only. I'm leaning towards the Volvo, as I think the extra weight and grunt of the 7.4 might be unnecessary and use a bit more fuel...thoughts? All boats seem to be well maintained and in really good condition for their age. 2 of them were trailered boats.

-Any other comments about these boats?

Thanks!

While a 7.4 would normally use a slight bit more fuel then a 5.7 normally, but only to a point. If both boats are lightly loaded, the 7.4 will come up faster and at cruise speed the 5.7 will be turning more rpm's then the 7.4. The difference in rpm may still be more fuel for the 7.4, but increasing the weight can shift the greater fuel consumption to the 5.7.

The more weight the more the 5.7 will use coming up and cursing. It's all HP to weight ratio, maintenance will basically the same. My choice would be the 7.4 if for any other reason then if you bring some additional friends with it will not effect it much, and some greater resale value

On_plane

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the 5.0 litre with the Alpha 1 may take a longer time to get on plane, but I think the 5.7 with a duoprop should still get it up pretty quick. I'm still just a bit surprised that the dry weight of this size boat isn't closer to 4000 lbs, but I'm not complaining!

alldodge

Staff member
You do have a good point with it being light, my Rinker is 23.5 x 8.5 and dry weight is 4800 cuddy, the open bow is listed as 4200

The 3300 for the same size boat is pretty light, hope it's a misprint otherwise they didn't put much in it