Buying 196BR or 216BR??

Pov

Recruit
I have been evaluating a number of bay boats here in Fla and decided on the KW, either the 196BR or the 261BR. I would probably prefer the 216, but like everything else in this economy cost is king. I'm not looking new, but pre owned. Having had other boats there is no doubt that seldom two are alike, trying to get something with a cost not to exceed $20K. Checking all the used sites and comparing that to Nada used boat prices, the price of these things even when considering hours, equipment, options, motors is all over the map. For example I saw a 2010 2 stroke 196 BR with low hours FS for $19K in Jacksonville, the same boat only a 2007 I saw for $30K in another area. They even go higher. Curious if anyone has opinions on pricing and methodology and what would be a realistic target for a 196 or a 216 at this price point. Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Buying 196BR or 216BR??

Welcome aboard Pov. With used boats there are generally 4 variables in play: 1.) how proud the seller is of the boat, 2.) what "extras" have been added to the boat (usually effecting #1), 3.) the condition of the boat and 4.) the market.

Market prices are best determined for your area by watching CraigsList, classified ads and online boat listings like iBoats. You kinda' have to get a feel for your area. Condition you can only check by actually going and checking the boat out. (for example, I can probably find a boat in better condition for the same price in Atlanta vs. the market where I am - they have a bigger more competitive market).

Once you get a feel for your market and condition, you can better gauge how much of the price you're seeing is due to the sellers pride or accessory list.

Basically my first thought reading your post is that for some reason, those two boats are not an "apples to apples" comparison.

If you want to link to the postings, folks on the boards will chime in on what they think about them.

Pov

Recruit

Welcome aboard Pov. With used boats there are generally 4 variables in play: 1.) how proud the seller is of the boat, 2.) what "extras" have been added to the boat (usually effecting #1), 3.) the condition of the boat and 4.) the market.

Market prices are best determined for your area by watching CraigsList, classified ads and online boat listings like iBoats. You kinda' have to get a feel for your area. Condition you can only check by actually going and checking the boat out. (for example, I can probably find a boat in better condition for the same price in Atlanta vs. the market where I am - they have a bigger more competitive market).

Once you get a feel for your market and condition, you can better gauge how much of the price you're seeing is due to the sellers pride or accessory list.

Basically my first thought reading your post is that for some reason, those two boats are not an "apples to apples" comparison.

If you want to link to the postings, folks on the boards will chime in on what they think about them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm finding I think that some of the dealer priced used boats seem to be more indicative of a correct price then individual owners. NADA is just a guideline like cars, but the price should be somewhere in the ballpark, based on original list price, installed upgrades and the current retail. Been through this before, some of the prices I see from private owners aren't factoring in much depreciation on the boat. Your points are well taken, a well taken care of boat is the desired state, but not a 2007 boat that is for sale at a price equal to what it sold for new + whatever upgrades were installed. Usually over time the prices get adjusted to the correct market levels, just like unfourtantly housing prices of the last few years.

Being new here I didn't understand the link to the posting comment? Thank you again for your input.

southkogs

Staff member

NADA suggested values seem to be more of an alternate reality to me. Dealer prices might be in line with market, but I think the "for sale by owner" listings are the best gauge. When buying a relatively new boat (used) you do need to compare that to new purchase deals right now. Mainly because they're a little hungry, boat dealers are doing some nice deals.

What I meant by linking was if you're looking at CraigsList or iBoats ads, post the URLs in the forum and folks will help you look at them.

I link to this thread quite a bit for new folks lookin' for a boat. I think it's a great example of how the boards can help through the process. If you are looking to buy and want some folks to bounce ideas off, this is a great place to do that.

Pov

Recruit

Saw a slightly different boat at the show last week, the 210BR. If anyone has any comments on that boat we would like to hear them? The boat has some nice features over the smaller BR series and I like the flip seats as opposed to the jump seats. The potty room is also nice for when the grandkids and ladies might be out for a spin. Nice size to move about and the show special was actually pretty reasonable.

mandopickr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I own and love my 196BR, I typically fish alone. Two could fish comfortably, three would be okay, but tight. So take that into consideration. OF course, because of the smaller size, it tows like a dream.