Setting Up 2009 KW DC 176

USMA1973

Recruit
New to Key West forum...hope it is as good as the Sailfish forum I was previously in. Just purchased a 2009 176 DC, downsizing from a 236 Sailfish in order to fit the rig in the garage. Have a 90 Yamaha 4 stroke as main engine, but I want to put an electric trolling motor on the bow. Considering a wireless Salt Water edition of a motor guide. Fitting it on the bow, wiring, and locating the batteries are the upfront challenges. Anyone have experience they might share? Appreciate anyone's thoughts. USMA1973

Bocafish

Recruit
Re: Setting Up 2009 KW DC 176

Had a Minn Kota Riptide with auto pilot installed on my 176. 80 lb. Great unit. Moves the boat along really well. Lasts all day. Had to go with 2 more batteries/ 24 volt system. Consider an on board charger system for your batteries. Had installed by one of the local Key West dealers in my area. Tuppens. The Minn Kota mount fits just right. It also dismounts easily. I take it off while staying at hotels etc. Unit works great and fits perfectly. The romote control is all I ever use. I understand they are much improved since I installed mine. Check them out. Don't know much about the Motor Guides units.

USMA1973

Recruit
Re: Setting Up 2009 KW DC 176

Had a Minn Kota Riptide with auto pilot installed on my 176. 80 lb. Great unit. Moves the boat along really well. Lasts all day. Had to go with 2 more batteries/ 24 volt system. Consider an on board charger system for your batteries. Had installed by one of the local Key West dealers in my area. Tuppens. The Minn Kota mount fits just right. It also dismounts easily. I take it off while staying at hotels etc. Unit works great and fits perfectly. The romote control is all I ever use. I understand they are much improved since I installed mine. Check them out. Don't know much about the Motor Guides units.

Bocafish....thank you for the quick reply. I am very happy to hear that you were able to fit the 80# on your 176. I will check with the local KW dealer to see if he will help me out with this....out of curiosity, did you install the 2 batteries inside the left console compartment? That appears to be the logical, and closest place, not to mention better weight distribution vice the stern end. VR Dave (USMA1973)