Was this boat made by Invader?

cwcollins06

Seaman
Ok, I've been looking all over the internet trying to definitively identify this boat and I'm hoping you guys can help me. It was my grandfather's boat and when he passed away when I was in high school I went out to Lake LBJ in Texas and brought it from the boathouse to the trailer with water in the back up to the driver's seat. Obviously, some pretty pricy hull work was in order and because of that it's been sitting covered in a barn for 10 years. Now we're restoring it and I'd like to know more about it.

It was purchased in 1977 in the Austin, TX area. It's a 17' trihull with a 1976 85HP Johnson Javelin. On the transom above the serial number is stamped "Model: 1977." The decals on the sides at the stern (you can barely see the faded outline in the pictures) have the classic Lone Star logo and then in fine print at the bottom say "By General Fiberglass Mfg., Giddings, TX" Invader boats is the only boat company I can find that was ever in Giddings, TX and this boat looks a LOT like Invader Capri models I've seen from the 70s. It even has bright blue metalflake/glitter coatings in the interior and on the rails like the Capris did. THere aren't any Lonestar boats that look anything like this. Did Invader ever license the Lonestar name? I'm pretty confused at this point.

I can't find any information online about General Fiberglass or any indication that there was ever anyone besides Lone Star and then Chrysler that was authorized to use the Lone Star name on their boats. Anyway, any info you guys might be able to offer would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to be better able to tell the story of my boat since it has so much family history.

IMAG0140.jpgIMAG0146.jpgIMAG0142.jpg

cwcollins06

Seaman
Re: Was this boat made by Invader?

After getting some answers elsewhere, it seems most likely that this was an invader hull purchased as a bare hull by a local boat builder in Giddings, rigged and then sold as a boat he built. I'd be curious to know how common this was back then and maybe to meet some people who have boats with similar origins.