2006 Sylvan 19' Spacedeck

mgsondance

Cadet
Hi- I'm looking at a used deck boat on Craigslist. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5137351101.html
Right now I have an old 1995 pontoon with a 40HP motor- looking for something newer and faster. The owner says it will go 40-50 mph. It has a 90 HP Mercury Optimax.

Anyone know anything about these boats, or have an opinion on the motor? It's a 2 stroke but the owner says it's fuel injected so you don't have to mix oil in with the gas.

thanks!

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know much about pontoons but 50 mph is probably overly optimistic. 90 hp on a pontoon configuration, maybe 35 mph max on a great day.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
MGS - Moved this from the Hurricane boat section and into Boat Topics. You have a far better chance of input here.

Nothing wrong with a Mercury Optimax. 50MPH might be optimistic, probably closer to 40. You will find out when you test drive.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did the owner say

Oil injected?

Instead of fuel injected?

Although injected, the 2stroke motor still needs to have oil mixed w the fuel. Instead of pre-mix, the oil is carried in a tank onboard the boat and injected w the fuel and become mixed gas at the throttle body or where ever the fuel, oil and air get mixed for combustion.

I think Mercury makes an oil specifically for the Optimax outboards.