Are Hurricane SD boats decent quality?

medic181075

Seaman
I am seriously thinking about buying a new SD 187 IO. Are there common problems with these? Should I have any concerns? What is the long term reliability of these boats if properly maintained? How much wood is used in the construction? The dry weight is 700+ pounds more than the average 18.5 ft ski boat which leads me to believe that there is likely some wood, though it may be due to the wider bow.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is a late reply, and you already took the plunge and purchased the boat, but I thought it would be good to answer the question about the use of wood in Hurricane boats.

​Yes, Hurricane uses wood stringers in the manufacture of their boats. The only models that don't are the newer SunDeck (SD)2690 and the SunDeck Sport (SS)203. They have fiberglass stringers.

The hull, including the stringers are warrantied for life to the original owner of the boat.

I have been on the Hurricane Owners Forum for almost 4 years now and I haven't heard of any issues regarding the pressure treated wood stringers (like rotting or being water logged).

You will find most Hurricane owners absolutely love their boats and keep them for a long time.