New Here With A New To Me Hurricane

Good afternoon everyone. I am new to the Hurricane section but have been a member of IBoats for a long time, just cant remember my credentials so had to create a new one. Any how my wife had twin girls last October and we found that it was time to upgrade from our 18 foot chaparral to the 2008 hurricane gs 202 Fun Deck. The boat had less then 50 hours on it and still smelled brand new under the seats. Saying that I love this boat is a understatement. We have already put close to 20 hours on it since Friday. It is our dream boat for sure. The only concern I have is that I am reading that people are getting close to 50 MPH and when I was out with 4 kids and 2 adults we were hitting about 57 according to GPS. This was with a half tank of gas and maybe a cooler full of water. What is the WOT RPM for the 5.0 and Alpha Drive. I am concerned that I may be over propped or under i guess with the 17P. Don't get me wrong i am not complaining and also the GPS may have been goofy. Any how good bye for now from a happy Hurricane owner!!!

Attachments

• 12943.jpg
    12943.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Here With A New To Me Hurricane

Welcome to being a Hurricane owner Ruckas! I recommend you also consider joining the Hurricane Owners forum on the Hurricane Boats website. Besides a great bunch of people here on the iboats forum, there's a great bunch of owners on that forum as well, plus it has the manufacturer connection (many, maybe most, are members here on iboats). It?s been recently updated and improved. As far as I know, all you need is your HID number off your boat to join.

Here's the link if you?re interested: Owners Club

Regarding your engine performance, Mercury Marine states that my 2012 5.0 MPI ECT has a WOT range of 4,600 to 5,000 rpm, the WOT spec is the same for either the Alpha or the Bravo drives (your engine is probably the same WOT spec). My tach hits around 4,800 ? 4,900 RPM and my top speed is 45 MPH on my Bravo 3 drive with a 22.5 prop pitch (which isn?t necessarily much help since you have an Alpha drive). Be aware that the deck boat hull design does have a speed limiting effect beyond the 50 MPH mark (especially the 12.5 degree dead rise models), so your 57 MPH is speed that?s a bit unusual if it?s accurate. Just make sure you?re satisfied with your hole-shot/at rest to plane speed.

Re: New Here With A New To Me Hurricane

I am very happy indeed with the plane, it has almost instant. I never though I could be 100% content with how a boat was set up but I am. The boat had less than 50 hours when we got it and we already have 80 hours on it!! :joyous: