I need to replace 2 more gauges

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I am continuing to work through some issues. I may need to replace 2 more gauges as seen in the pic below #1 & #2 (the fuel gauge and hour meter). This time I will need to remove the instrument panel to replace the gauges. If you have done this, I have several questions:

1) Will removing the screws that seem to hold the panel in place, indeed remove the panel?
2) Will the wiring allow me to bring that panel forward enough to disconnect the gauges?
3) #3 points to a steering fluid control knob. Must this be disconnected and if so, how?
4) #4 points to the circuit breakers. Must these be unscrewed from the panel?

Any direction on this would be unimaginably appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

helmGauge01.jpg

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I need to replace 2 more gauges

I added a gauge on my boat and the panel was just held on by about 4 screws. It pulled forward enough to get to the wiring, but the panel on my boat is different than yours, so I can't say for sure it will be the same. On my boat there was a hose from the steering fluid port to the helm control, so when I pulled the panel I did not need to remove the fill port, since the hose was long enough to let the panel come forward. If you need to remove it it should be pretty simple, remove the cap, then unscrew the silver nut and it will be loose. The fluid is not under any pressure, so you don't need to worry about leakage as long as you keep the hose elevated.

Don't know about the circuit breakers since I did not mess with them. I piggy backed my gauge off one of the others, since all I needed juice for was the back light (it was a water pressure gauge).

I would recommend disconnecting the battery before you work on it.

Last edited:

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I need to replace 2 more gauges

Hello Ernest T,

As always, thanks.

Paul Bolden