hurricane steering issues

Hi everyone, i am new to the site. Seems there is alot of knowledge and experience here so I am hoping some of you can help me.
I bought a 2012 Hurricane SS 188ob and powered it with an E-Tec 175. Previously had and sold Larson with a 305 engine.
Of course the Hurricane is a different feel but I am most concerned about the steering. I bought the boat new and the steering system originally put on was a BayStar which is too small for the e-tec 175. It took much strength to turn the boat and then when pulling back the throttle the boat would hook sharp right almost tossing me out of the boat. I was actually scared to drive it. With a few threatening phone calls to the marina I purchased it at, they replaced it with a
U-Flex steering system. Again I believe it is too small for this boat as the steering is very choppy. Also in order to turn the boat I have to turn the wheel forever compared to instant steering on the Larson. Regardless of slow or on-plane I am always working the wheel to stay straight.. Another issue I have is I have to make sure the trim is down to get complete control in a turn. I am sure these issues are not the boat but the set-up. When I do turn fairly sharp and accellerate hard I also experience cavitation.
Can anyone with this boat and a large motor tell me what steering system and setup they are using.. also would be nice to know prop size and hole mount

Thanks in advance

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hurricane steering issues

Sounds like you may have a couple of issues. Sounds like the hydraulic system may not be working properly, or may not be the proper system for your boat. A mismatch between the hydraulic helm control and the size of the boat/engine can cause the problems with excessive turning of the wheel. So can a damaged helm control. Another potential problem is that you could have air in the system that needs to be bled off. Its something you can do on your own, but it usually takes 2 people (one to work the helm and hold the bottle of fluid, and one to bleed the system at the steering arm). The cavitation on turning is not necessarily a problem. Many boats do this if the motor is trimmed up during the turn. If you are getting cavitation with the motor trimmed down, then I suspect that you have a mounting problem with the outboard mounted too high. You need to get this right first since it will effect steering, and you will be chasing your tail so to speak trying to adjust the steering system if the motor is not mounted correctly (both horizontally and vertically). Once the motor is mounted correctly, you may need to adjust the trim tab on the motor. When I initially got my boat it was hard to turn to the left, and would tend to quickly turn right. Some of this is due to prop torque, but much of it was eliminated once I got the trim tab on the motor adjusted correctly to compensate for prop torque.

I have a 217 SD with a SeaStar system and a Yamaha F150 outboard. Steering is a little stiff with this system at low speeds, but smooths out nicely once on plane. I've heard good things about the U-Flex system, but I'd make sure the system you have is large enough for your engine. One other thing to consider is that many of us have found significant improvements in the handling of the Hurricane hull after the addition of a trim tab system...........specifically Smart Tabs. I doubt that the Smart tabs would fix your current problem, but once you get to the bottom of the steering problem, I'd highly recommend them for improved hole shot, and a smoother ride.