2001 FD 201 4.3 i/o enough power??

NEboater28

Cadet
Hello,

I posted another in the general forum, but thought this would be a better place to ask. I'm on the market for a used Hurricane and i'm looking at one this weekend. It's a 2001 FD 201 with a 4.3 mercruiser 190 hp I/O (carbed). I'm wondering if anyone else has this boat and can comment on the hole shot. I'm using this boat exclusively on a smaller sized lake and will primarily use it to tube/ski. My concern is to get the novice skiers up quick. I don't have a need for speed and would consider throwing a 4-blade on there and maybe some trim tabs. With this, could I still expect a decent hole shot with 5-6 adults/kids on the boat?

I'm test driving it on Sunday, but won't be able to replicate these conditions (the 5-6 adults w/a skier), so I'm looking for anyone with experience or thoughts about the engine on this model. I'd prefer a 5.0, but there is really limited inventory in the used market and can't seem to find one under the $15k price point in the area.:confused:

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 FD 201 4.3 i/o enough power??

I have a GS 202FD with the 4.3L 190HP. Pulling skiers is a non-issue. I'll admit a deckboat isn't the optimal platform for advanced skiing but power isn't an issue. IMO the only issue I've had with hole shots is the boat always had a bow up on launch regardless of pulling anyone or not. Bought some smart tabs from iboats, easy to install, and they were the perfect answer. Now getting out of the hole isn't an issue. I have 3 boats, two with outboards, maintenance wise the OBs win. But, In comparison the use of the rear swim platform on the I/O is worth the extra maint. to me. So it's really a matter of individual choice and how you really plan to use the boat. I can't speak to a 150HP hole shot on a 23' boat but seems it'd work fine but test it I could be totally wrong. Keep in mind trim tabs fix a lot of hole shot issues, before & after on my 202 make it like night & day it's that significant of an improvement. Not only is the hole shot better, the ride is better and I feel I can throttle back some when cruising. On my bass rig same results, but it gets on plane so quick it seems like it starts on plane. Good luck.
ShadowB

NEboater28

Cadet

Thanks! I ended up going with a new Sundeck 187 w/4.3 I/O MPI 220hp. I loved the rear swim deck. Boat seemed to have plenty of power. After I load it up, I might consider a 4blade prop and maybe some trim tabs. After looking at a bunch of used crap, I decided to take the plunge and go new. I'll be joining the Hurricane Forum!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the New Boat! Be sure to post some photos.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the group! There's a great group of Hurricane owners in this forum and they all pretty much love their boats.

As Ernest says, post some pics!