new to me Hurricane, some questions

gjk5

Cadet
I recently bought an 2003 SD 237, 350 MAG MPI with what I assume is a factory fishing package.

Has the two front mount pedestals, trolling motor, live well, bow mounted fishfinder etc. There appears to be a charging system on the starboard side just forward of the freshwater tank by the trolling battery trays. It appear to be a two bank as one set of leads goes to starting batteries on port and one set is by the trolling batteries, but is taped off and appears to have been unused.

Just wondering if this is a factory setup, why it would not be hooked up to trolling and additionally: how do I determine if my trolling motor is 12v or 24v? It's a Minnkota Copilot. If anyone else has this setup I would be interested to hear about it.

It did come with the foot pedal and the snappy little wristwatch controller which seems cool.

So far I think this will suit our needs perfectly, taking it to Powell next week to spend 5 days on the houseboat with the family.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new to me Hurricane, some questions

Need more info on the trolling motor to tell if it's 24v or 12V but as a rule of thumb I believe anything over a 55lb thrust is a 24V. Your size boat my guess is it's a 24V but the motor model will tell you the thrust. The model will be on the serial number plate. Also if the trolling batteries are wired in series then it's 24v. I can say my 2008 GS202FD has the fishing package "but" the trolling motor & charger were installed by the dealer. Can't say why your trolling batteries aren't connected but my on board charger is not connected to the starting battery (and never has been). Only the trolling batteries (one set of leads to TB #1 and the other set to TB#2) are hooked to the Charger so perhaps the previous owner was using it to charge the starting battery hence why the trolling batteries aren't hooked up.

ShadowB

gjk5

Cadet

it is 24V, and I am guessing that is why the charger is not hooked up to the trolling batts (it is a 12V charger).

The charger can charge two batteries regardless, of whether it is a 12V or 24V. Your trolling motor batteries are hooked in series, so when you hook up your onboard charger you hook the leads independent (each battery will have its own leads + and - from the onboard charger) You mention you have a Minn Kota Copilot, the copilot is an option it isn't the model, and as stated above by shadowB, the model will be on the motor.

gjk5

Cadet

The troller is a Autopilot 65lb, the trolling batteries hooked up and ran great (no "bridge" between them). Hooked the charger up to the starting batteries and worked great, still not sure about charging the troll batts.

Boat ran well though, some good chop on Powell this weekend, handled great.

The troller is a Autopilot 65lb, the trolling batteries hooked up and ran great (no "bridge" between them). Hooked the charger up to the starting batteries and worked great, still not sure about charging the troll batts.

Boat ran well though, some good chop on Powell this weekend, handled great.

I have the Autopilot 80, and it is a 24 volt system and I have on board 3 bank charger for each of my 12 volt batteries (2 for trolling motor(24V), and one for my moto), each lead/bank from the charger is independent of each other, so as long as you hook up each lead (pos & Neg) to each battery there is no issue .... in reference to your 24volt system for your trolling, as long as you DO NOT hook one lead (positive) to one battery and the other lead (negative) to the other battery you will have no issues.

Hope this helps and hope .....