Trim Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was thinking about putting Trim Tabs on my FD202GS I/O and while researching I see pictures of Center Console Hurricanes with tabs but don't see where it was an option, obviously it was. Anyone have Trim Tabs on their Hurricane? If so did you install them? Would they be worth the trouble of adding?

Any insight would be appreciated.

ShadowB

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Tabs

I don't own a Hurricane but can assure you that individually controlled trim tabs are a fantastic addition to any boat over 18'. Below that you can usually get by with "Smart Tabs" but in a larger boat the ability to trim port and starboard to compensate for load variation and being able to trim the bow up or down while maintaining prop bite is a god send in heavy chop. IMHO you'll love them but don't cheap out, get a good set.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input, it confirms what I've been reading about them. I'm on a good size lake and we do get some pretty good chop on windy days. In fact the lake can be pretty nice in one spot, 15 miles away it can be white caps. In chop with my I/O you can watch the RPMs flux and really have to work the trim to get it right, especially with a load. I figure they'd help stabilize things a bit.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put Smart Tabs on my boat. Very worth while IMO, and easy to install. The nice thing about the Smart Tab system is that once you install them and get them setup properly you forget about having to adjust them, since they work automatically. The benefits I noticed from the tabs were: lower planing speed, less bow rise, and a more stable ride in choppy water. I used the ProTroller bracket, so I can flip the tabs up into a neutral position when it is fork lifted out of the water. The ProTroller system would also make it possible for you to disengage the tabs if you didn't won't to use them on the water, but once you have tried them, you will keep them engaged. If you install the ProTroller bracket the other way, you can used the tabs as trolling brakes. If you decide to go with the Smart Tabs, I recommend going with the stainless steel tabs rather than the composite tabs. I did a fair amount of research, and the only reported problems were with the composite tabs occasionally breaking. This is one of the few systems that you will have to work to find a negative review for..........just about universal praise from everyone that has installed the system.

Trim-Tabs004-L.jpg

Trim-Tabs006-L.jpg

Trim-Tabs005-L.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I have never used smart tabs. I can tell you that hydraulic trims are super, I have em (bennet) and love em for the same reasons as above.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great info on smart & hydraulic tabs. I've been reading good reviews on both so it's a little confusing. I don't have a problem with balance the boat handles that well by design. But I am looking for the attributes Ernest T mentions i.e lower planning speed and stable ride in chop. When I come into my cove and slow down by bow is pretty high when keeping a speed I can steer. Plus the chop on the open lake I'd like a bit more help than the out drive trim. I've been researching this and your comments support going with smart tabs or the Bennets. I do like the auto retract on the Bennets but ease of the smart tabs. Thanks for the photo's Ernest T. great shot of the rear ladder and tab that's very helpful.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulled the trigger on a set of SX Smart Tabs. I guess I could fiddle around trying to decide. iboats' price for a set was the decision maker, not sure how they can beat everyone else's price by that much but glad they can.

ShadowB.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My review of the smart tabs:
The transom on my boat is set at an angle, so the actuators are not long enough to reach the transom, although there is not mention of this on the website. The nauticus website says you can convert smart tabs into pro-trollers with the extra attachment, but it does not work with these. These tabs have a stop of 25 degrees, which prevents them from shifing into the trolling position. This was the main reason I bought the tabs. Another $50 down the drain. Nauticus did not respond to several of my emails which made a bad situation worse. Installation will cost me AT LEAST 3-4 times the cost of the smart tabs because of the transom angle. Buyer beware!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

My review of the smart tabs:
The transom on my boat is set at an angle, so the actuators are not long enough to reach the transom, although there is not mention of this on the website. The nauticus website says you can convert smart tabs into pro-trollers with the extra attachment, but it does not work with these. These tabs have a stop of 25 degrees, which prevents them from shifing into the trolling position. This was the main reason I bought the tabs. Another $50 down the drain. Nauticus did not respond to several of my emails which made a bad situation worse. Installation will cost me AT LEAST 3-4 times the cost of the smart tabs because of the transom angle. Buyer beware!

What model Hurricane do you have? Post some photos, I'm not familiar with a model with an angled transom.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What model Hurricane do you have? Post some photos, I'm not familiar with a model with an angled transom.

Sorry. She's a four winns. I guess I stumbled into the hurricane forum searching for smart tabs.

More importantly, now that I have had her on the water I can justify my investment. The decrease in planing time I noticeable, top speed is higher and boat stability is improved. I will try to record some hard data and take some pics next time I'm out. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather permits.

NEboater28

Cadet

Hello, I recently purchased a Hurriane 187 I/O 4.3 220hp and I'm considering smart tabs. I have a rear swim platform, so I'm not sure if that will interfere with installation. Anyone install these with a rear platform? Also, what lbs should I get on that sized boat? Thanks

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello, I recently purchased a Hurriane 187 I/O 4.3 220hp and I'm considering smart tabs. I have a rear swim platform, so I'm not sure if that will interfere with installation. Anyone install these with a rear platform? Also, what lbs should I get on that sized boat? Thanks

I don't think the swim platform will be a problem. If you post a photo of the transom we could probably tell for sure. For your boat I'm pretty sure you would use the 60 lb actuators.

jackmi

Recruit
We have a 2006 Hurricane GS202 I/O. I bought some Bennett stainless 10" tabs and now have two questions. (1) They recommend mounting 4" from the chine, making them about 9" from the chine to the center of the tab. Due to my tie-downs, I would have to move them in about 5".Would this make much of a difference? (2) I can't see what is inside of the transom where the screws would go. I don't think there is anything of concern (wire, cable, etc), but want to be sure, Thanks, Jack

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have a 2006 Hurricane GS202 I/O. I bought some Bennett stainless 10" tabs and now have two questions. (1) They recommend mounting 4" from the chine, making them about 9" from the chine to the center of the tab. Due to my tie-downs, I would have to move them in about 5".Would this make much of a difference? (2) I can't see what is inside of the transom where the screws would go. I don't think there is anything of concern (wire, cable, etc), but want to be sure, Thanks, Jack

Start your own thread. This one is 6 years old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.