Draining the sink

armywife57

Cadet
We can't get all the water drained from the sink in our GS 202. Any suggestions to get it all out? Or will the water be OK in there all winter? The boat is stored on a lift on the dock in Alabama. Doesn't get REAL cold for long periods--but DOES get cold.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Draining the sink

This what I do on my GS 202. I run the system faucets until they won't pump any water. I add a 50/50 anti-freeze solution using non-toxic pink RV anti-freeze (your ratio will depend on where you have your boat). I usually put in a gallon - 1 1/2 gallons of that into the tank. I run the faucets until the pink solution comes out of the faucet and turn the system off. Unwinterizing it, I turn the sytem on and run it until no anti-freeze water will pump out. I add more fresh water and run faucets until clear water comes out. I add a bit more water with a 1/4 cup of bleach to kill any fungus et al and take the boat for a short run to slosh things around. I then run the water tank empty or until it won't pump (again). I add more fresh water and run faucets one more time to make sure things are still clear and I'm good to go. I may do a bit of over kill here but I haven't had a problem with freezing issues or clean water. Just make sure you use the pink anti-freeze made for fresh water systems. I buy mine at Wal-mart.

2008 GSFD 202
4.3L 190 HP

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do the same as ShadowB with the RV antifreeze. You may be OK just running the system dry, but on my boat there is still at least a gallon of water left in the tank after you stop getting water out of the faucets. I've got a friend that has had to replace 2 water pumps on his boat after they froze over the winter, and he is here in NC with me.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same same here, I pump till all water is out, fill tank with pink, then run each sprayer (I have 2 on my sundeck sport 202) until pink comes out and I am sure it is pink enough to be antifreeze and not just diluted with water. As I am using the sprayers, I spray them direct into the sink so any water left in the sink drain line will also be antifreeze, I also use the sprayers to spray into my underseat compartments to fill those drain lines with antifreeze. I then remove the sprayers seeing as they are just cheap home looking sink sprayers, I leave those in the house for the winter so the plastic won't get old quicker.