Hurricane GS 170 ski pole

davewbarriball

Recruit
Does anybody know where I can get a new water ski pole/pylon for my Hurricane GS 170 deck boat? The original one bent, as did a second. Not under warranty! After the second one, they told me not to pull a tube with the pole -thanks for telling me after two bent poles.

Thanks,

Dave

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Hurricane GS 170 ski pole

Dave

There is a warning on the pole that indicates not to use for tubing (but I used it too on my previous GS170 and did the same :facepalm:)

You'll have to get it through either a dealer or a marine supply store (you can find a dealer here

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice

Good to know there's more than one of us that's done that. On my 1998 GS201, I bent the pole trying to pull someone on a tube that submerged as I accelerated, dumb mistake but was the first time I'd towed one on that boat.. I don't recall ever seeing a warning that it should not be used for that, at least not on the pole itself. I ended up bringing mine to a local smith, who heated the bent area up with a blow torch, straightened it out, then hammered a steel rod through its hollow center. I've been told that a hollow pole is stronger than a solid one. Whether that's true or not, I've used it now for 2 seasons, including inflatables but I accelerate in a deliberate fashion, ready to back off at the slightest give, and I don't allow anyone else to tow with it. People who've seen it tell me it's solid and I don't need such caution, but since it's not as the manufacturer provided I do it that way.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The dealer warned me not to tow a tube from the ski pole on the check out ride. He told me that they replaced a couple every year that got bent from tubes. There is actually a sticker on my pole that tells you not to do it, but you almost need a microscope to read it.

The problem is when the tube decides to submarine as mentioned above. Many guys will tell you they always tow tubes from the pole with no problem, but it's just a matter of time until the tube submarines, and they will be buying a new pole.

I use a "Y" harness and tow from the stern eyes. Only problem with this setup is that the rope catches the wake and throws water in the riders eyes, and makes the tube jerk. The solution is one of these Booster Balls that keeps the rope out of the water, it also acts as a shock absorber so the tube doesn't get jerked as much.

893781748_8FiZT-L.jpg