Trolling Motor for FDGS 211

kedrickdaw

Recruit
Hey guys, been reading posts here for about 6 months and site was actually a key part of picking a Hurricane over some other boats. More than any other boat forum, seems Hurricane owners have mostly good things to say...so happy to join you guys as a proud Hurricane owner. Posted a pick of my FDGS 211 to share pics of my baby with you (actually both of them).

Now for my question, been fishing quite a bit and ready to take the plunge on a trolling motor. Few questions:
-Assume for 21 ft boat on big lake...need a 24 volt setup?
-Any experience with thrust...need 70-80 lbs?
-Currently has 2 x 12 V batteries, guess I will need to add 3rd battery...has anyone done this, can it be integrated inline for recharge?
-Any idea on shaft length?
-Has anyone integrated trolling motor with existing Lowrance?

In general looking for recommended setup or lessons learned specific for Hurricane 211. Saw a post for 19' but looking for any experience with 21'.

Thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 124.JPG
    124.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Trolling Motor for FDGS 211

Killer boat! Same color as my 202... I wanted a 211 but couldn't locate one near Wisconsin. What HP engine are you running?

If I were you I would have two deep cycle 24v batteries with 70-80 lb thrust trolling motor. I'm running 12v 55 lb Motorguide on my 202 and it's decent, but with the 211 I'd go for a 70-80 lb motor and 24v for sure.

I tend to go overboard on electrical systems, but if it were my boat Id also have two 12v dual purpose batteries for cranking and house with an A/B combine switch and VSR (voltage sensitive relay). This way battery A only used to start the boat, and Battery B for all house functions ( stereo, lights,aux ) Then incase of emergency you can combine both...

If you have a Yamaha engine, it has isolator lead for charging second bank of batteries..

Are you looking to add transducer to the trolling motor from the Lowrance? I believe I went with a 54" shaft...

Here's my set-up

hurricane%20008.jpg

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree. I'd go with more thrust but just know that the trolling motor you select will probably dictate the voltage. Most 55Lbs and below are 12v, above are normally designed for 24v. Basically you can hook up 100 batteries together and still only have twelve volts if all the positives are hooked together and all the negatives are hooked together. To get 24 volts from two batteries you need to hook the positive from one battery to the negative of the other battery and then the outside positive and neg will give you 24 volts, ie.e wired in series. Using the two batteries will make trolling last longer through the day and 24v will use less amps. I don't recommend hooking any other electronics to your trolling batteries though. Be sure to use a 55 Amp fuse for each battery - 6 gauge wire. I have a MotorGuide Wireless 75Lb thrust on my 202 and it's great. I use a Minnkota system on my Tracker. Even though it's a smaller boat, fishing all day with a 12v system requires two batteries. One won't cut it. Could you get away with a 55lb unit, probably but I never heard anyone say they wished they had less power in their trolling motor.

2008 FDGS 202
4.3L 190HP

bear_69cuda

Commander

Basically you can hook up 100 batteries together and still only have twelve volts if all the positives are hooked together and all the negatives are hooked together. To get 24 volts from two batteries you need to hook the positive from one battery to the negative of the other battery and then the outside positive and neg will give you 24 volts, ie.e wired in series.

Correct my e-mail wasn't clear about this... I said 2x24v batteries deep cycle... I meant to say 2x12 volt deep cycle wired in series, only used for trolling motor. Thanks for catching that boss!

I don't recommend hooking any other electronics to your trolling batteries though. Be sure to use a 55 Amp fuse for each battery - 6 gauge wire. I have a MotorGuide Wireless 75Lb thrust on my 202 and it's great.

Also good info! the 24v set-up will toast any electronics that require 12v. And the stock wiring on my Hurricane was 10ga wire. I would go with 6 at the minimum. Ditto on the fuses. I used a 55 Amp resettable breaker you can see in the pic.

I use a Minnkota system on my Tracker. Even though it's a smaller boat, fishing all day with a 12v system requires two batteries. One won't cut it. Could you get away with a 55lb unit, probably but I never heard anyone say they wished they had less power in their trolling motor.

My single deep cycle runs my MotorGuide 55 all day no problems... But I also can charge it with my isolator lead form the Yamaha if it gets low on charge. I'd have another battery wired in parallel but I have no room... I also have my stereo, lights, and aux connected to this deep cycle battery... But can combine with cranking battery if needed.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not really sure but that small trolling motor seems to really pull more juice than it should. I didn't notice it until I started using the 202 more. Maybe the batteries just aren't high quality or something.

bear_69cuda thanks for sharing the battery pics, never know when those can be use for reference.

2008 FDGS 202
4.3L 190HP

kedrickdaw

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. I have the setup for A / B / Both now...boat came with fishing package and has jack up front. Guess I need to figure out how to setup second bank of 24 volt batteries for the trolling motor. Based on your advice...will go with 70-80 lbs of thrust. Also, thanks for the input on length...needed that.

About the boat in general...love it, great all purpose boat for fishing, skiing, or just cruising with the family. Has a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke on it and has plenty of power to get up and go. Been very happy with my purchase.

Most of the summer has been about skiing and swimming...now that Fall is here...getting ready for striper season. Should be fun.

Thanks again for the info...will let you guys know how setup goes.