2005 Hurricane 217 Ski Pole

wbh3569

Cadet
My family and I spent a week at the lake with another family that has a 2005 217 and the ski pole tang that sticks up in the center of the loop at top to hang ski rope on is pointed backwards in other words the rope will just pull right off the tang. I have owned several ski baots and they all had the tang bend pointing forward so that the rope will not pull off.

My question is does anyone know how to remove the ski pole in a 2005 217?
as I believe it is simply in backwards the pole is round and I believe can be turned 180 degrees to make the rope tang bend towards the front where the rope loop will stay on tang.

Any help is appreciated.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: 2005 Hurricane 217 Ski Pole

Should point backwards. The loop should go over the top of the pole, and looped from the front (boat side) thru to the back and hooked on.

This keeps the rope over the pole, and then hooked instead of relying on the hook alone.

If you feel the need to change it, remove the back seat, there should be an access port behind it (or perhaps its accessible from splashwell or bilge areas)

Remove the bolt, turn the pole around, and refasten but your hook is setup correct.

wbh3569

Cadet

So why is it that ALL fixed mount tow hooks are pointed forward and rely on just the hook in the center? Do you indeed own a Hurricane also?

Just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Thanks

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

So why is it that ALL fixed mount tow hooks are pointed forward and rely on just the hook in the center? Do you indeed own a Hurricane also?

Just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Thanks

yes, I currently own one and had one previous, both with the hooks the way I indicated.

What you've stated is correct, and I'm thinking mine was backwards (including the brand new one I have)

Either way, you can fix the rope to them in a safe manner but not rely on just the hook.

Here is a picture from Hurricane's website. I use a different loop with the rope but the hook really prevents slack in the loop from riding up.

Attachments

• ropehook.jpg
    ropehook.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0

wbh3569

Cadet

Thanks for the confirmation, it appears in the photo to be installed corectly however it also appears that Hurricane factory installers are not familiar with the correct istall as I have now 2 confirmed installed backwards from the dealer. thanks again will make for some interesting discussion around the campfire next time I see my friends with the Hurricane.

WB

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just realized that mine is backwards also. No wonder I had such a time trying how to figure out how to keep my daughters wake board rope on it. I ended up putting the loop from the rope over the eye then pulling the end of the rope over the tine from the front towards the back. I'll also have to look into rotating mine...............thanks for the post :rolleyes:

937635943_7a5NL-XL-2.jpg

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

After doing a little more research on the ski eye issue, I found this photo on a website showing the correct way to attach a rope to the eye. They show the tine pointing backwards as it is on my boat:

937680503_jEXqM-X3.jpg

This is how I hooked up the rope on my boat and it worked fine. Evidently there is more than one way to skin a cat, as my grandmother used to say.

If you use this method, you can leave your ski pylon the way it is.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

After doing a little more research on the ski eye issue, I found this photo on a website showing the correct way to attach a rope to the eye. They show the tine pointing backwards as it is on my boat:

937680503_jEXqM-X3.jpg

This is how I hooked up the rope on my boat and it worked fine. Evidently there is more than one way to skin a cat, as my grandmother used to say.

If you use this method, you can leave your ski pylon the way it is.

Ernest, thanks for finding that picture... That's how I've been attaching mine.

I think the key is to have it looped as you've shown. I've done it for years without noticing the difference.