Sony Stereo System No Remote

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd start another post in case new Hurricane owners missed it. We bought a new 2010 Hurricane 2100 and upgraded the stereo system to the Sony (Model #CDX-HR70MS). The Sony comes mounted below the throttle on my boat very low near the drivers feet. It is very inconvenient to change stations, volume, etc., since someone has to crawl under the driver to make the change, or the dirver has to stoop down to do it, since it is almost impossible to see seated in the drivers position.

When we looked at the manual that came with the stereo, we noted that it was supposed to come with a remote control. Since having a remote would make adjusting the system 100% easier we gave Hurricane a call to find out why no remote? The lady we talked to was very nice, and did spend some time tracking down the problem, and found that the remote was simply not included with the boat, although Hurricane was getting them from the supplier. No real reason was given as to why the remotes were not going out with the system, and I don't know what they are doing with them at Hurricane......throwing them in the trash??? Anyhow, the remote is fairly cheap......about $25 (Model #RM-X151)http://www.amazon.com/Sony-14790771...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276822707&sr=8-2, and we were just going to buy one, but the people at Hurricane gave us the name of the stereo system supplier to see if we could get one from them.

The stereo suppliers name is: RiverPark INC Phone #1-800-442-7717. My wife talked to an extermely nice guy there by the name of Wayne Holleman, who was surprised to hear that we didn't get a remote with the system, since he had been supplying them to Hurricane. Wayne shipped us a free remote......which was way above and beyond the call of duty, since it was not his fault in the first place.

I recommend if you have the Sony system and did not get the remote to contact Hurricane first. If enough of us complain maybe they will start supplying the remotes. Then you can contact RiverPark, but I hate that those guys should be having to fix a problem caused by Hurricane in the first place. You can also easily find the remote online at a number of retailers (I think Sony uses it with many of their systems).

I should mention that the remote is an IR type, so you still have to be within sight of the stereo, but it is still much easier to use than trying to change settings manually.

If you have the Sony system, the remote will make your life much easier on the boat.........especially if you have teenagers!;)

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Sony Stereo System No Remote

Thanks Ernest... I'm going to validate the model #, and manual to see if my model was to be equipped and if so, I'll followup with Hurricane and post the results.