Haines Signature

mouradc

Cadet
Hi,<br />I'm looking a buying a second hand boat tomorrow, I've seen a Haines Signature advertised and I'm going for viewing and a water test tomorrow morning. It has a 90HP Johnson motor and it's with a second owner, previous owner apparently only used in the river (fresh water only). It is a 1987 model, 16 foot with a cad cabin and still in it's original condition. He sent me pics. I believe I asked the bloke all the right answers about the boat, trailor and motor, he assured me that the motor has no sign of corrosions and no paint blisters on the outside, he also assured me that there is no soft spots in floor or the transom. He also assured me that the tralor has no rust.The motor has electric trim and key start. <br />Can You please guide me what I need to look out for with this type of boat or motor. Things that I should be cautious about...Any thing that comes to mind will be helpfull.<br /><br />Thanx.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Haines Signature

Lots of things needs to be inspected when you buy a boat 18 yrs old. (how old is the engine?)<br /><br />If you are not familiar with boats and dont really know what to look for, I highly recommend to hire an marine surveyor for couple of bucs have it professionally done. He will tell you everything you want to know.<br /><br />These old boats from dealers are just like famous "used car stories", always owned by a Nun, never been in accident, never been painted and -always kept in the garage (they never tell you if it is a "home" garage or garage as the "mechanic garage"...) oh, the milleage is always highway milleage also, like it makes a difference... <br /><br />Good luck

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

But If you are dying to do it yourself, follow this list that "Big Poppa G" wrote from Iboats forums, will help.<br /><br /> • Inspect seacocks. Hoses and hose clamps should be inspected and replaced as necessary.<br />• Replace deteriorated zincs.<br />• Inspect prop(s) for dings, pitting and distortion. Make sure cotter pins are secure. Grip the prop and try moving the shaft - if it's loose, the cutlass bearing may need to be replaced.<br />• Check to make sure the rudderstock hasn't been bent.<br />• Inspect the hull for blisters, distortions and stress cracks.<br />• Make sure your engine intake sea strainer is free of corrosion and properly secured.<br />• Check the engine shaft and rudder stuffing boxes for looseness. After the boat is launched, be sure to check these as well as through-hulls for leaks.<br />• Use a hose to check for deck leaks at ports and hatches. Renew caulk or gaskets as necessary.<br />• If equipped, ensure that stern drain plug is installed.<br /><br />OUTDRIVES and OUTBOARD ENGINES:<br />• Inspect rubber outdrive bellows for cracked, dried and/or deteriorated spots (look especially in the folds), and replace if suspect.<br />• Check power steering and power trim oil levels. Replace worn-out zincs.<br />• Inspect outer jacket of control cables. Cracks or swelling indicate corrosion and mean that the cable has to be replaced.<br />• Inspect fuel lines, including fill and vent hoses, for softness, brittleness or cracking. Check all joints for leaks and make sure all lines are well supported with non-combustible clips or straps with smooth edges.<br /><br />ENGINES AND FUEL SYSTEMS:<br />• Inspect fuel tanks, fuel pumps and filters for leaks. Clamps should be snug and free of rust. Clean fuel filters.<br />• Inspect cooling hoses and fittings for stiffness, rot, leaks and/or cracking. Make sure they fit snugly and are double-clamped.<br />• remove and inspect exhaust manifold for corrosion.<br />• Clean and tighten electrical connections, especially both ends of battery cables. Wire-brush battery terminals and fill cells with distilled water.<br />• Inspect bilge blower hose for leaks.<br /><br />TRAILERS:<br />• Inspect tire treads and sidewalls for cracks or lack of tread and replace as necessary.• Inspect bearings and repack as necessary.<br />• Test tail and back-up lights. Test winch to make sure it's working properly.<br />• Inspect trailer frame for rust. Sand and paint to prevent further deterioration.<br /><br />MISCELLANEOUS:<br />• Inspect bilge pump and float switch to make sure it's working properly.

Triton II

Commander

Nice checklist GR... I'll use it for my yearly "spring clean" service. Thanks, :)