75 gulfstream runabout

75boater

Cadet
I have just puchased a 1975 Gulfstream i/o 190hp... i need to adjust the tilt drive... it goes down but does not go all the way down. once it thinks its all the way it clicks... i have been told it can be adjusted but how would one go about doing this? any help is great thanks...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 gulfstream runabout

Mechanical questions like these are best posted in the I/O section above. The mechanicals are not boat brand specific and can be found in brands whose owners would not be down here looking. In otherwords, you're liable to find much wider experience and knowledge in that section.

To answer your question, I believe you have a tilt motor issue. The clicking sounds like it might be the 'up solenoid' when the tilt motor runs out of poop. You should remove it, clean it and check the brushes and comutator. The motor is held together and in place by the two long bolts thru the back plate of the motor. Be careful to hold it all together, while removing it, once you remove the bolts.

There are more issues related to the tilt system that you'll want to learn about as well.