Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, PLEASE ASSIST if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipper250

Recruit
Re: Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, Grumman 17' Whale Back Canoe

Mr. Lewis-
I posted the following last week in another thread. I then found yours. I'm trying to find out information about a "whale back" Grumman Canoe. I'm attaching the photos. Two are ID plates on the boat. Grumman Boats 2525-GB-S-17 oval shaped and Capacity plate Model G-17S Serial 2525. Also stamped into the bow are the numbers: 65221 1906 over 5 (see photo). The canoe is in execlent original materials condition except for the green paint on the sides and floor. Any information would be Great.

I received the following responses for Marathon Boats when I inquired about the canoe.

First email:

My Message: I have a Grumman canoe "whale back" Plate number: 2525-GP-S-17 Model:
G-17S. The canoe I have has two fins on the stern. They appear to be original. Do you have any information about this model? Where can I find information about the age and production regarding this canoe? Attached is a photo. Anything you have would be great. Thank You!

Marathon Boats: What we can tell you is the GP stands for being made in Pennsylvania, the S means standard, 17 means foot long, and 2525 is the serial number. It was made before 1972. Would be made the exact same way as we make ours today.

-----Original Message-----
To: grummanboat <grummanboat@aol.com>
Sent: Sat, Mar 29, 2014 9:40 am
Subject: marathonboat.com-Form submission from marathonboat.com

Second email:

I take back that it is a standard. It is a square stern and I am sorry but we do not have any information about his model because it was made by the original company. One of the guys that work here back then still works here and he has confirmed that it is a Grumman and at one point they did make models like this. That is all the information that we can give you.

-----Original Message-----
To: MemberService <grummanboat@aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 31, 2014 8:29 am
Subject: Re: marathonboat.com-Form submission from marathonboat.com

Attachments

• Oval ID Plate 2477.jpg
    Oval ID Plate 2477.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Grumman Capacity Plate 2480.jpg
    Grumman Capacity Plate 2480.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Grumman Whale Tale 2476.jpg
    Grumman Whale Tale 2476.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Grumman Bow Stampings 2478.jpg
    Grumman Bow Stampings 2478.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 4
  • Grumman Canoe Overall 2475.jpg
    Grumman Canoe Overall 2475.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 5

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Skipper,

Your boat is a new one on me. I've yet to run into the " Whale Tail " contraption, nor have I seen a flat back w. such a short splash rail.. It looks as though someone in the factory came up with a stabilizing idea and they actually used it. Those canoes without the addition were very rocky while under power since there was no chine, and they needed something to keep them on a level plane. I'm at a loss to date it due to never having seen one before. However, the Marathon plate locates it's build location. It also displays the newer Grumman logo and I'm not quite sure when that came into play.
You have a unique boat and I hope that we hear more about it's handling characteristics. I have always preferred the " Sportboat " due to it's substantially wider transom giving it much more stability.

Andyo1616

Recruit
I have a 17' square stern from @ 1947-1952. Any idea what the exact year might be? "134B-5-17S"

Splitpaddle

Recruit
I've been trying to collect data on pre OMC & marathon Grumman. Like one of my recent canoes is a Bethpage 17' square stern in great condition. I found its had two owners and spent most of its life on a private lake. The tag or plate # is 1345-B-5-17S. Care to put an approximate manufacture year. I have my estimate but would appreciate another scholarly estimate. I have a number of Grumman canoes and include the lateen sail kit, rowing seat, and carrying yoke. All Grumman

Splitpaddle

Recruit
I've been trying to collect data on pre OMC & Marathon Grumman. Like one of my recent canoes is a Bethpage 17' square stern in great condition. I found its had two owners and spent most of its life on a private lake. The tag or plate # is 1345-B-5-17S. Care to put an approximate manufacture year. I have my estimate but would appreciate another scholarly estimate. I have a number of Grumman canoes and include the lateen sail kit, rowing seat, and carrying yoke. All Grumman

Splitpaddle

Recruit
I'll try to get a photo of it with my 1947 Mercury/Keikhaefer 3.2 HP. motor on it Trying to keep this as close to period as possible

cphubert

Recruit
I have what I think is a 1952 sport boat tag on the bow cover is 546-M-15S does this sound correct? it was never registered that I know of but belonged to a friends grandfather that passed in 1961. boat is in very good shape I'm stripping the five coats of paint off it now and planning to repaint it olive (as it came from factory). does anyone know what the original paint type was? rear tag says contact manufacturer for info but they do not respond. does anyone make a mycarta oar lock socket liner for replacement? or will I have to settle for nylon? Thanks for any information you can provide

poberlin

Recruit
I just purchased a Grumman 17 foot square stern. The 82 year old man that I purchased it from told me that it hasn't been in the water since 1958. It has never been in salt water. It has never been stored outside either. The hull is in near perfect shape except for scratches in the paint which looks to have once been a dark green or blue. It has no dents or even dings. I can only find 2 missing rivets. It has a metal portage yoke or what is left of it, any padding or fabric strap long since rotted away. It also has a wooden floor that lay across the strakes which is in remarkable shape as well, missing only a few inches from one of the pieces. The inside is painted in a thick gray that looks like primer and was original according to the original owner. He thinks that it was purchased in 1951 or 1952. I'm new to this forum so I haven't figured out how to upload pics yet. The boat has a placard riveted to the bow that reads
Grumman Aircraft Co.
Eng Corp
Bethpage New York
748B-5-17S
I can't find any hull number anywhere.

I plan to recondition, paint, etc.
Any advice along these lines is welcome as well as any idea of the canoe's age and value.

Last edited:

J A Brow

Recruit
My folks have a Grumman square-stern canoe, bought used in about 1970, near Duluth, MN. We always called it the "Sport Boat," but recently discovered that it might not be a Sport Boat. It is 15 ft long. The name plate # is 342-15-S, Bethpage, NY. It has the rubber waterline strips. It has one set of oarlocks, and it has the sail plate and holes. At it's widest point it is 39 inches wide; the stern end is 25 inches wide at the top, 32 inches wide at the widest. Any information I could get on this boat would help. Other Grumman square-stern canoes seem much narrower at the stern. This one looks to me like a Sport Boat (from pictures), but doesn't quite measure up.
Is it, or is it not, a Sport Boat?
What year (about) was it manufactured?

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, you do have a "Sportboat. I would love to see some pix of your incredibly early model. If the bow is covered with a flat sheet of aluminum, not an upwardly curved one, then you have one of the earliest known examples of the model. I'm wondering about the rubber rub rail that you've mentioned. As far as I know, it was an aluminum, upside down teardrop shaped, continuous one. I believe it was made in 1951 or '52. There are no records of early production quantities, or the serial #'s, but the first "Sportboat" was made in 1950, which I have a prototype of in my collection. It probably has a square "mast step" mounted on the floor forward of the bow seat, since you've mentioned having the rudder gudgeon on the stern. ( I think that's what you've referred to) Please, if possible, include quality pix if you can. We all would love to see some.
Also, can you feel any foam inside the bow, forward of the bow bulkhead?

J A Brow

Recruit
Regarding my October 3, 2015 post about my parent's Grumman Sport Boat.
I wasn't technological enough to get photos here. I hope the photobucket link works.
I could not find if there was foam in the bow - I felt up there with a wire and didn't feel anything, but I didn't take the cover off. I've not seen the rubber splash rail (?) in any other pictures. The stern measures 32 inches wide, 25 inches at the top. At the widest point the boat is 39 inches. Length is 15 feet. There is one set of oarlocks.
http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/pastorebc/library/

jbcurt00

Staff member
JA
Please start a topic about YOUR Grumman.

This topic is closed, as its been inactive for more then 90days

Status
Not open for further replies.