Old Grumman combination sail/fishing boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastime

Recruit
We've owned this Grumman boat since the late 70's. It's a combination fishing boat and sail boat. Very heavy duty aluminun and 13' long. My husband would like to have any information available about this Combi. We think it's from the 60's, but maybe not. He also would like to know if anyone else has had one of these combination Grummans. This is the serial number 23G-C2. We always meant to restore it to use as a sail boat too, but the mast is gone and the keel was removed. Lots of bucks to restore, so it's just used as a fishing boat.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Diana

DLS33967

Recruit
Re: Old Grumman combination sail/fishing boat

Hi Diana,

I know what you mean, its hard to find any info on this boat! I recently purchased a 13' Grumman sail/row/motor boat that I found on craigslist. The Grumman plate on starboard side transom identifies it as 105GP-C2, and a port side plate says that she is rated for an engine up to 22 HP. I went to the Marathon Boat Group website and asked them for any information, but have not had a response. I will try and call them next week.

On my boat, the mast, boom, sail, and all standing rigging are in great shape, and the hull is sound, no leaks or dents. All three bench seats, and the main wooden piece of the rudder, need to be replaced because they are splitting. I bought new 8' oars and am now looking for a decent used little outboard. Trying to keep motor weight and cost to a minimum as I prefer to sail. Hopefully a 6 HP will be big enough to get her on plane with two aboard, but might need a 9.9 HP to do the job. Think I might design and install smaller dual rudders so that the engine can stay on the transom in the middle.

I'll post the only picture I have of the boat sailing, along with a few shots that I took on the day I bought her. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll let you know if I hear anything from the Marathon Boat Group.

All the best,

David

Attachments

• Grumman Sailing.jpg
    Grumman Sailing.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 3
  • Grumman Interior.jpg
    Grumman Interior.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Grumman Underside.jpg
    Grumman Underside.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Grumman Bow Interior.jpg
    Grumman Bow Interior.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Rudder Close-up.jpg
    Rudder Close-up.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3

boater steve

Recruit

I can tell you much about this boat. What would you like to know? BTW not ma
ny people believe that this boat exists and mistake it for a sailing canoe!

DLS33967

Recruit

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the response! My boat is a "105GP-C2". I've tried to find info about this boat online and have had no success. Marathon Boat Group has not replied, despite repeated requests, so I was about to give up. Anything that you can tell me about the boat would be most appreciated. When and where was it built, how many were made, etc.? I'd also like to know if there is a vintage Grumman small boat owners group.

Thanks again,

David

ibeboatin

Recruit

Hello Steve,
Yahoo groups has a Grumman Group...I own Grumman 2545-GP-13.. 13' Daggerboard row-sail-motor with two row stations, flat bottom, no cutaway stern. Standard cat rig but has jib option. Has no capacity/hp plate or sticker. need to know.
Your boat is sharp! I need to refinish mine & replace all wood but seats & blades/tiller.

vvv
Thanks for the response! My boat is a "105GP-C2". I've tried to find info about this boat online and have had no success. Marathon Boat Group has not replied, despite repeated requests, so I was about to give up. Anything that you can tell me about the boat would be most appreciated. When and where was it built, how many were made, etc.? I'd also like to know if there is a vintage Grumman small boat owners group.

Thanks again,

David

xxx

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
I believe that you have a Grumman Camper made somewhere around 1970. I have a brochure showing this beautiful vessel w. a length of 13' 1".
You might want to call the Marathon, N.Y. plant where they manufactured them. They are still in business and are willing and friendly. Please don't tell them that I guided you there.
If you can send me a picture of your boat, if it is the one in my brochure, I'll be glad to make you a copy of what I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Diana,

It's a bit late in coming, but I've just identified your boat. I believe it's a 1968 built " Combo ll ". It is the only sailing row boat that had a lowered transom, In 1967, the same boat had a full ht. one. I have a brochure showing all the specs. w. 3 pictures of the vessel as well.You can reach me @I'll be glad to furnish you w. a copy of the page on your boat, as well as all specs.

Last edited by a moderator:

gilleadmountain

Recruit

Hi Grumman Historian,
I have a grumman combination sail, motor and canoe. It has an outrigger, excellent sails, and all equipment. Overall the boat is in excellent condition except for some pin holes in the bottom, which I am welding closed. It has asome saltwater sitting in it that caused the problem. I have a vintage 8 hp motor for it and it also has a trailer a cover. I was restoring it but a move out of the country will force the sale of it. Would you have any idea what it would be worth. I have the FL title for the trailer and the boat.
Any help would be appreciated.
gilleadmountain....

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,

I'll need more info from you about the boat, and some good pix will also help in the I.D. As far as value, once I see your pix, at least we might know which boat that you have and can go from there.
Does it have an I.D. plate attached to a bulkhead, transom, or bow cover? How long is it? how does the rudder attach? If a sailing canoe, do you have ALL the hardware? Do you have leeboards and thwart? Do you have the rudder attachment plate and pin?
How do you know that you actually have the complete hardware package for sailing? Have you assembled it all together on dry land to make sure that it's all there?
Since you say that you have a Fla. title, what year is it?
Since you have an 8 h.p, it seems to me that you might have a " sportboat" which was rated for up to a 5 h.p.motor, but will handle more. As for the pinholes, make sure that a good TIG welder does the welds or it might blow larger holes through. It also will need to be ground flush upon completion, both in and out. I Look forward to your reply.
Grumman Historian

gilleadmountain

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. I will gewt pictures this weekend and post. I am not a sailor, but my friend is in the sailboat building business and fabricates large sail boats. We put it together on dry land and he said everything is there. It also has an outrigger setup for stability that can be attached. Everything is good shape like the sails and fixings. I am not looking for all that much for the boat, trailer and motor. The welding is mostly done, probably another few hours. But I will have the photos this weekend.
Thanks,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.