What is this forum for?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What is this forum for?

I will be willing to bet that this is a "politically correct" forum. I am just guessing however, iboats might be starting business with grumman by OMC and it could be a requirement that had to be met. I suspect it maybe related to the business side of iboats.

I did a search on people requesting specific boat forums and there was only one person who owned a Grumman.

Look iboats can now claim they had activity in the forum on the first day.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know OMC made Grumman. Same Grumman as the canoe?

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I don't ever remember seeing OMC on my canoe...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe it's a different OMC, like Old Milwaukee Canoe...

Maybe they were made out of recycled cans!...

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

If it was cans, I contributed a few, a long time ago.

ricksrster

Commander

http://boats.iboats.com/grumman_by_omc/
Heres some more info:
With a downturn of the economy and the marine industry in particular, Grumman Allied Industries, Inc. decided to sell its boat division in 1989. Grumman Boats was purchased by the Outboard Marine Corporation in March of 1990. After 14 months of operation in a still sluggish boating economy, OMC elected to relocate all Grumman aluminum boat and pontoon production to its other Mid-western aluminum boat manufacturing plants to better utilize their more modern facilities and larger capacities. OMC sold its Grumman plants in Arkansas, Wisconsin and all of its Marathon, NY holdings with the exception of the South Street Plant where it continued to produce Grumman canoes only as a part of OMC’s Aluminum Boat Group.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Didn't know that Outboard Marine Corporation was still in business of any kind.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You are right Boomyal, OMC isn't in business any more.

To answer EricKems question, "Grumman by OMC" made a decent number of boats in their time so I think that is why this forum is here - to help support those people who own one of those boats.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a mid 1980's Grumman center console. It's about 18' and has a 1989 Evinrude, 75 HP "Stinger" engine. The Stinger was was converted from the standard 15" shaft, to a 20", when the late owner bought the new Stinger for the Grumman.

The poor old guy only used it a couple of times before became disabled and it sat for 9 year's, in his barn. a friend of mine bought it in 1997, put about 20 hour's on it and again it sat until I bought it in 2002. My friend is quite knowledgeable about outboard's and properly stored it.

In the summer of 2002, he asked if I was interested in the boat, motor and galvinized trailer, for $500.00. Two hour's later, it was sitting in my pasture!!!

As soon as I finish remodeling my other house, I will start a full restoration on the Grumman, which I'm looking forward to.

The "Stinger" doesn't have tilt and trim, but I plan on using one of those CMC tilt and trim unit's.

It came with a few extra's, such as, a double wide console seat with a built in live well, about 80 qt's, a Humminbird depth sounder/fish finder, an anchor with about 50 feet of chain and a water separater type fuel filter. I definatly got my money's worth.

I plan on taking an ample number of pictures durning the restoration.

...Bob in Calif........looking forward the maiden voyage of my restored "Tuna Taxi"

skmag357

Cadet

I have a 1993 Grumman 14ft boat with a 28 hp johnson. This is a great backbay and bass boat. My dad and I bought the boat from a friend for $1,100. We sold the 9.9 off of it and put the 28 on it. Its good for 2-3 people but after it gets iffy. We really haven't had any problems with the boat at all. We only get to use it for about a week a year now but it runs like a champ and catches fish! If anyone is thinking of buying one, you won't be disappointed.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1997 12 foot grumman with a 1988 4 hp evinrude that I got for christmas. For 500 bucks we got the boat, motor, trailer that is too big(we are gonna sell it and use a trailer we already have) bimini top, bilge pump, swivel seats and OB lock.

flatiator

Recruit

I have a 1996 Grumman 1542 with 96 30 hp Evinrude.
I bought it new in 96 and it has been a darn good one!

jwig

Cadet

I have a 1952 Grumman 13' something. I got it for a project. I plan to put a 95HP jetski motor in it. That sucker is heavy and well built for an aluminum boat. It's a V.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1989 24' Grumman Funship pontoon.

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 15' Grumman runabout from the '50s or early '60s. When my Dad first got it used, it had a 35HP Evinrude Lark on it and a junky trailer. I used it for one summer back in the '60s as a runabout with the Evinrude, I thought it was a terrific boat; but I was only a teenager...what did I know. It closely resembled the Alumacraft Flying D that I've seen in pictures here.

In the '70s, Dad got rid of the Lark, stripped the Grumman down for fishing, added a new 20HP Merc tiller model and built a good trailer for it. Even with 20HP that thing would fly. On camping trips, it seemed like it would carry everything you could stuff in it and still easily get up on plane. It made many trips to Canada in this configuration and always outperformed anything comparable. On big water with big waves, it always carried its bow high; never pitching to the point where you felt you might take one over the bow. Never felt uncomfortable in that boat.

Right now it's languishing in the hay barn awaiting a restoration.

I think this forum is here because I asked for it....and I'd like to thank the administrators. Wanted to see if anyone else thought as highly of these old boats as I do. Apparently, they're somewhat rare. In my mind, the old Grummans rank right up there with the old Alumacrafts; another favorite of my Dad's.

Sooooo, Plainsman, it took a year and 7 days but the mystery is finally solved. This forum is for people who have Grumman boats. If there are Grumman boats, why shouldn't there be a Grumman forum here?
Bob

Last edited:

biglar21

Recruit

I'm thankful to have found this forum. I have purchased a 1987 Grumman Renegade Bass boat and have the motor information but wonder if there is anywhere to find a boat manual. Does anyone know?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

What do you need a manual for. Outboard motor manuals are essential, but boat manuals are useless. Generally, aluminum boats have similar problems/quirks, so I am not a big fan of these manufacture forums. If a technical question about a Grumman bass boat is asked in here, and someone else has fixed the same problem on his Alumacraft bass boat, how is he gonna know to come into the Grumman forum to answer your question? But, he more than likely will be in the boat topics and questions forum though. Pop up their and ask what you need, pick up a motor manual, and fuggetabout a boat manual.

PlugKnocker

Recruit

I have a 1989 16' Grumman Renegade. I'm getting started on a restore of the decks, carpet or something like rhino liner, going to clean up the wiring and fix a few electronics. Also hope to increase batteries to have two up front for trolling motor, and two in back one dedicated to the recirculate pump.
If you have the same model or have restored a Jon boat and have any recommendations for carpet or other options to replace carpet I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions.
If so I will ask to start a new topic thread.

100_1110-001.jpg100_1125-001.jpg100_1130-001_half.jpg

Thanks in advance
Plugknocker