Old (1949) Grumman canoe data point

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOweather

Recruit
I have done some searching on the net re: our Grumman canoe, and not finding much, I thought I'd post what I know/learned.

A lot of the searches I followed were for "old" canoes from the 70s or so. There is hardly any info pre 1960.

160601canoe.jpg

From what I learned on-line, this is a 17' canoe made from 0.030" aluminum. Not finding much else to nail down the date, I went to the source, Dad. :) This was his canoe, with which he courted my Mother (along with his Harley and sidecar). I'm 60, he's now 91.

So, he purchased the canoe new in Wisconsin while at college in 1949. When he left Wisconsin to go to school in New Mexico, he took the canoe with him, on top of his 37 Buick. And towed the Harley and sidecar behind him. Then back to Moline IL In the 70s, I loaded it atop my Fiat station wagon and brought it to CA for college, where it now reposes between uses in our garage.

It's go a lot of miles on it, on water and land. :)

knukmpr

Recruit
SLOweather, did you fine out anything more about your old Grumman?

I just picked up a 15' with a SN of 206B-5-15 and info points to a build date before 1952.

I am planning to paint it inside and outside to represent a birchbark canoe to support my history storytelling hobby in the Great Lakes area.

I have 300 years of stories to tell.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
90daysold.PNG

Welcome aboard, knukmpr

This thread is almost 1 year old and SLO is what we call a 1 and done. He made one post and left, never to reappear. We have a 90 day activity trigger on threads and prefer that threads with no action for 90 or more days are allowed to sleep. Look at the Forum Rules by clicking on Forum Help in the signature below.

Putting it back to sleep - Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.