71 ss150 questions

mojomunki

Recruit
ive just purchased a 71 grew ss150 with a 1967 evinrude 60hp does anyone have a brochure showing this boat ? also the boat takes a long time to plane out just wondering if i should change the prop or if maybe the motor is too heavy..... its a monster!!! just think it should have a little more power then it does....motor seems to run well....any help for this newbie would be appreciated!

thanks

nate

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 71 ss150 questions

those Grews have a double floor, so several hundred pounds of water can get trapped below. poke wire up the drain hole and make sure it is draining.
It should fly with a 60.
That 1967 isn't that heavy actually- it just looks bulky. Your motor is probably much lighter than a modern 60HP 4 stroke.

mojomunki

Recruit

thanks for the info... had it out with a gps the other day and was getting up to 27 mph when it finnally got planed.... i didnt know about the double floor...there is a little pocket by the transom where the drain plug is that my bilge pump sits in.... should i drill a small hole on the inside of this just under the floor level and see if water comes out?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I would be trying to get in there and see - hole saw under a seat base a common method to check floatation foam status. I'd expect high 30's with that motor if it is making proper power.

mojomunki

Recruit

hey thanks never thought about drilling a hole there good idea....a few other people think it may be waterlogged....ive just found out that the transom is getting pretty rotton....but i lucked out and got a 16 ft doral trihull bowrider for free that is in unbeliveable condition so im just gonna give up on the grew i think.....

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

hmmm. I'd think that Doral would have a 15" transom. The motor on the Grew would be a long shaft (20" transom)
Trihulls ride rough, but they're stable.