1979 Overnighter 204C - opinions

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm considering buying the above mentioned GW. This is a big step for me going from a single outboard 17' AristoCraft boat that weighs 1000 or so lbs to a 21' twin O/B that weighs 3000#. I'd like some opinions from PO's. Please tell me your likes, dislikes, things to look out for etc, etc. I wrote the GW factory this week also. The PO told me he used it as far out as 25 miles saltwater fishing and family bay cruising, it handles 3 - 5 ft seas and has managed 8 foot once (caught in a storm). I'm not looking to this type of performance specifically but it is good to know. We are recreational weekend cruisers.

Thanks - Scott

BTW- the motors are Towers of Power mercs 6cyl 150's PO said it cruises 40-45knt on nice water about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle with gear. sounds good to me being a "heavy boat" on it's way to a fishing hole. I posted motor question in the Mercury section.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Overnighter 204C - opinions

I'm buying it. Besides needing cleaned up and dumb stuff (winshield wiper, bimini canvas, new cushions etc etc. it is solid. This is a family friend and assured me he would take it out. looking the bilge and no cracking or shaking of the transom, nice and solid with no "unused holes" Minor crazing in the gel but GW customer service tells me crazing is acceptable for a boat of this vintage and not a problem unless there are cracks, which can be repaired (of course gel coat patches will never match). all of the cleaning and minor repairs I can do. I have plenty of tools and talent.

If I decide to quit the electronics are worth what I am paying. Please anyone with comments please post.... iBoats comments are a great learning tool. I appreciate all of the advice and try as best I can to post my related and not so related experiances.

Thanks for looking - Scott