SSV hulls and wake size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2010 Glastron GT180 with a 150 HO eTec. I reckon with that engine it ought to come out of the hole like a scalded dog. :laugh:

I've never owned a Glastron before (I currently have an old Starcraft runabout which I've happily driven for 40 years now) and was curious to know what's so special about the famous SSV hull design that Glastron seems to be so proud of. It's funny, Glastron makes sure they list SSV hull right at the top of the feature lists for the various boats they have on their website but they don't actually have a page where they tell you anything about what it is or what's good about it.

So, what's so good about the SSV hull design? Is it really any different from what a hundred other manufacturers are making?

I was also wanting to know what sort of wake I should expect this GT180 to have. I use my boat primarily for water-skiing so I like a flat, narrow and soft wake. I've looked at other runabouts like the Campion Allante 535 which has a 16 degree deadrise and a Starcraft 172 ob sport which has a 15 degree deadrise and I notice this Glastron has a much higher deadrise, 20 or 21 degrees. Does the deadrise angle have much bearing on wake size when the boat is at water-skiing speeds (e.g. 32 mph)?

My old 16' 1975 Starcraft hull has a really small wake and I know that going to a bigger, wider boat is going to result in a bigger wake but is this GT180 going to have a way bigger wake than I'm used to?

Thanks!

Lookin Down

Recruit
My 2015 Glastron has 150ho vmax and we ski with it regularly. I have not noticed any excessive wake. Love the boat and This is my second Yamaha which is outstanding. red boat.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looking down, welcome to iboats.

Its been nearly a year since Roj posted this, and in Sept since he"s been on iboats.

Please try not to post to inactive topics, those w no new posts for 90+ days. Thanks.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.