Gas tank won't fill/

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 GS180 and went to fill it up and it would only take about a gallon but I know it can take 12 gallons based on hours I've used it which is about 5 hours. The gas just sits there on top of the fuel filler neck. My thought is the vent line (vents through gas cap) or fuel line is clogged or kinked. Wanted to access the fuel tank hatch but I can't get it off. I forced it on one corner and a screw popped off, but can't find any other screws as may be embedded in carpet. I figure if I can get to the gas tank, I can remove the sending unit and see if the tank is full, meaning the sending unit is off or if the tank is empty, need to clear or replace fuel hose.

Any ideas on how to get the hatch off? It's between the rear bilge area and the ski compartment. Just in front of the rear seat. There's no round access panel for the fuel sending unit like there is on some boats/cars.

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Feel around real good........... there should be an access port, I have a 99 SX 175 and it has a access, maybe a PO recarpeted the boat and covered up the access.........

If the vent was clogged it would take the gas it would just be very slow..... it would be burping out the fuel filler.