Glastron/Carlson CV23

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Recently sold my '86 Wellcraft Nova II, and am somewhat regretting it.

Last week I purchased a '78 CV23 jet. She's very solid and original except the engine. PO claimed the original 460 was only 225hp (have no idea where he got that number) so he swapped in a 429. I'm betting the 429 was one of the low-power (270hp) models because he said they pulled the 2V intake and swapped the 4V intake over from the 460.

I think for the next boat I purchase if the owner trailers less than 25mi to the lake I'll automatically pass on it. Trailer is in fair condition, brakes don't work (hopefully just the MC), lights are garbage, and of course - running passenger tires. Doesn't even have a bow stop. The only thing holding the boat on the trailer is the cover (heavy full canvas), which has 7-8 pull-tight straps on each side that have loop attachments bolted to the trailer, and a cable (yuk) winch that's pulling tight against nothing.

The big reason I'm regretting selling the Welly is the CV just beats the $%$@ out of you on the water. With the Welly you wouldn't even feel most of the smaller waves, and 1.5-2' waves were just a minor hit. I don't remember my last 23' daycruiser jet being that rough, and my CV16 and CVX-18's were far smoother on the water. I got home Sun afternoon from the lake and my whole body just hurt from the pounding it took in the 2hrs we were on the water, and the water was fairly smooth in most areas of the lake.

Granted, there are prob not too many boats that will run as smoothly through the chit as the Nova II, and I know I was super spoiled by the Cadillac-like ride. I'll get the CV into great running condition, get the trailer up to the task; then determine if I want to keep her, or sell and buy a smaller Wellcraft, maybe an Elite 200.

Any other CV23 owners have such a harsh ride?

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Glastron/Carlson CV23

Go faster or stay home on rougher days. My 77 CV 23 hates rough water, we go faster and skip over it.

Recently sold my '86 Wellcraft Nova II, and am somewhat regretting it.

Last week I purchased a '78 CV23 jet. She's very solid and original except the engine. PO claimed the original 460 was only 225hp (have no idea where he got that number) so he swapped in a 429. I'm betting the 429 was one of the low-power (270hp) models because he said they pulled the 2V intake and swapped the 4V intake over from the 460.

I think for the next boat I purchase if the owner trailers less than 25mi to the lake I'll automatically pass on it. Trailer is in fair condition, brakes don't work (hopefully just the MC), lights are garbage, and of course - running passenger tires. Doesn't even have a bow stop. The only thing holding the boat on the trailer is the cover (heavy full canvas), which has 7-8 pull-tight straps on each side that have loop attachments bolted to the trailer, and a cable (yuk) winch that's pulling tight against nothing.

The big reason I'm regretting selling the Welly is the CV just beats the $%$@ out of you on the water. With the Welly you wouldn't even feel most of the smaller waves, and 1.5-2' waves were just a minor hit. I don't remember my last 23' daycruiser jet being that rough, and my CV16 and CVX-18's were far smoother on the water. I got home Sun afternoon from the lake and my whole body just hurt from the pounding it took in the 2hrs we were on the water, and the water was fairly smooth in most areas of the lake.

Granted, there are prob not too many boats that will run as smoothly through the chit as the Nova II, and I know I was super spoiled by the Cadillac-like ride. I'll get the CV into great running condition, get the trailer up to the task; then determine if I want to keep her, or sell and buy a smaller Wellcraft, maybe an Elite 200.

Any other CV23 owners have such a harsh ride?