Boarding ladder for 1995 Glastron SSV175

Jeff_H

Cadet
Guys,

I picked up a pampered 1995 SSV175 outboard. I'm not enamored w/the boarding ladder, due to there only being one step. The ladder fastens to the hull on the bottom side.

Is anyone aware of a replacement ladder that will retrofit, and provide at least one more step?

TIA,

Jeff

wesmartens75

Recruit
Re: Boarding ladder for 1995 Glastron SSV175

Jeff, I am looking for the exact thing as you are. I have a glastron and looking for a longer ladder, did you have any luck finding one for your boat?

Jeff_H

Cadet

Not yet. I was disappointed in Garelick, as they basically blew me off when I called them. I am looking at a couple of "potentials," I'll let you know if they pan out.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the same boat as you guys. I have a '94 SSV175, Same factory set up as a '95. I have been scouring the web for a year now trying to find a replacement that doesn't look like an after thought. No luck yet. The factory ladder was a bit on the short side but at this point I would be happy just to have that one again. Anyone want to sell theirs?!?! :) :)

boat - 4 002.jpgboat - 4 001.jpg

rcone

Recruit

Jeff, I am looking for the exact thing as you are. I have a glastron and looking for a longer ladder, did you have any luck finding one for your boat?

Anyone find a replacement for this? I'm looking too...

Jeff_H

Cadet

rcone,

No luck so far. I did find a photo on the iBoats forum that showed an extra step that someone fabricated. Can't tell from what though. I picked up a piece of HDPE this week, and hope to get in the shop tomorrow to fabricate an extra step that will connect (and hinge) to the bottom of the existing ladder.

Jeff

Jeff_H

Cadet

Well guys, I gave up finding a suitable replacement ladder, and struck out on my own. I picked up a piece of 3/4" thick HDPE, and from memory of a photo from the forum here (can't find that either), and some measurements I took of my boat ladder a couple weeks ago, I fabricated a step. I've attached a photo of it. I'm crossing my fingers that it will function.

Jeff

HDPE Boat Ladder Step.jpg

Jeff_H

Cadet

Some more explanation is probably in order. First off, you'll see two screws (each side) on the front side, at the top. They hold in place a "plug" that will keep the ladder afixed to the boat. The plugs are not glued in, for obvious reasons. OK, I can hear some say, "you can't glue HDPE." Historically correct. But, with 3M DP-8010 adhesive you can glue it. The screws are 10 x 2" stainless. There are two screws holding each of the plugs in, and two screws at the bottom of each vertical piece, screwed through the bottom of the step. The cross bar at the top is to keep the vertical pieces from splaying. All edges were rounded w/ a 1/4" radius round over bit. HDPE cuts well w/ most woodworking tools (table saw, band saw, router, jointer, drill).

The vertical pieces are approx. 10.5" long, on center from the hole to the bottom of the horizontal piece. There is 7 7/8" space inside between the verticals. This was done to have the holes in the vertical fall on the flat part of the existing ladder rung. The horizontal piece was dado'ed 5/16" deep, to accept the vertical pieces. The two holes are off set, placing them closer to the back side of the verticals, hopefully so the ladder will fall into place better when it's raised (acting as a hinge).

I currently have a rubber bunge cord acting as a restrainer, so the ladder stays up when not in use. I'll probably need to tighten that a bit to compensate for the weight of the new step.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff_H

Cadet

sa,

I'm intrigued by that ladder, but confused as to how you will mount it. Will you mount it on the small vertical area at the end of the hull, when it meets up w/ the top section. Second, does this ladder unmount easily? Fill me in <g>!

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff_H

Cadet

Here's a second version of the ladder extension. I had a chance to mount the first version on my boat ladder last weekend, and while it would work, I wasn't pleased w/ the weight or size. So, here's my second attempt.

Jeff
DSC_0354 resized.jpg

Jeff_H

Cadet

Guys,

Here's an update on the ladder I fabricated this summer. We put about 40 hours on the boat this summer, and the ladder extension performed admirably. I weigh in at 200 lbs. and the HDPE extension never flinched.

Jeff