Volvo Penta Throttle Controller Stuck

studiomorphic

Recruit
I have an '02 Glastrong GX225 w/ Volvo Penta 5.7 (in/out)
Brought it from Minnesota to Tampa last summer.

I couldn't get the throttle controller to go backwards or forward prior to the initial start. It was stuck good.
In neutral, it went backwards and forward with no problems.
I thought for sure it had something to do with the actual controller at the drivers position inside the boat until i ran across a blog post by a guy in Florida with the same problem.

Long story short, the problem was located inside the panel on top of the outdrive where the shift assembly is located.

The moving parts were corroded and stuck by the sea salt and was remedied with a healthy blast of WD40, followed by some anti-corrosion spray from the local marine supply store.

I'm posting this option because it was a minor glitch that I had thought was going to be a major repair and it took me a long time to find an article that had the answer to my problem.

I've attached an image of the shift assembly located in the top of the outdrive.

Here's a link to the actual article:

Attachments

• ShiftAssembly.jpg
    ShiftAssembly.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta Throttle Controller Stuck

Thanks for the post. Will keep that in mind if I ever make it to the salt water.

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a good article/blog with clear pictures. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you're back in action and welcome to the forum studio!!

chardaw

Recruit

just bought a 2002 glastron sx175 with a volvo penta 3.0. I had the same problem with the control button getting stuck THE FIRST TIME I BROUGHT MY BOAT OUT. After being stranded and almost giving and finding a tow in, I (for whatever reason) trimmed the motor all the way up and it released the button. did not make sense to me why the motor position would have anything to do with releasing the button, but I have a feeling its the same problem within the outdrive.....I will let you know if it works....a shot of WD40 would sure be a nice fix!!!