• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 9:30pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?

2. I removed petcock to drain for winter---now I can't see where I put it back in. Can I have someone run water into the water intake while I start the engine and see where water breaches from the engine compartment to help me locate opening for the petcock screw? (My existing manual is vague where this goes---I ordered a new manual from this site.)

3. Hydrolic stern lift is leaking. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I believe my manual says to refill with oil...is that right?

Thank you,
    Nicki

Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Originally posted by Tron View Post
    First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?
    No - fill a garbage pail or splurge on the $9 muffs....

1 Petcock goes port side of engine - in the side of the block sort of under the rear of the exhaust manifold - 2nd petcock is in the same area in the bottom rear of the exhaust manifold

The way to fix a leaky trim system is to find the leak and reseal it or replace leaking parts

Comment

Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Thank you!--BTW--I'm not that cheap---was just in a hurry and difficult to get to the boat store on the 4th. Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
      X