• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?

2. I removed petcock to drain for winter---now I can't see where I put it back in. Can I have someone run water into the water intake while I start the engine and see where water breaches from the engine compartment to help me locate opening for the petcock screw? (My existing manual is vague where this goes---I ordered a new manual from this site.)

3. Hydrolic stern lift is leaking. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I believe my manual says to refill with oil...is that right?

Thank you,
    Nicki

Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Originally posted by Tron View Post
    First timer to site and to boating---any help is greatly appreciated. Issues:

1. Is it safe to manually hold a garden hose over water intake stern vs. using a flush devise (water sock?) while running motor?
    No - fill a garbage pail or splurge on the $9 muffs....

1 Petcock goes port side of engine - in the side of the block sort of under the rear of the exhaust manifold - 2nd petcock is in the same area in the bottom rear of the exhaust manifold

The way to fix a leaky trim system is to find the leak and reseal it or replace leaking parts

Comment

Re: 1981 Mercruiser 140 4-straight Cyl.

Thank you!--BTW--I'm not that cheap---was just in a hurry and difficult to get to the boat store on the 4th. Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
      X