Looking for "new" Glassmaster owners 2006 and up

JHolliday

Cadet
Re: Looking for "new" Glassmaster owners 2006 and up

I have a 2008 that I bought back in Feb. with a 90 Optimax. I have a little over 100 hrs. on it now and am pretty happy with the boat. Overall I think its hard to beat for even "close" money. There have been a couple things, but nothing that wasnt a pretty easy fix.

fireGOD

Cadet

What boat did you get? I'm looking to put smart tabs on in the next month. I have also added more rod holders. but I love my boat just wish I would have gotten the 19' or 20' boat. Do you have any pics?

JHolliday

Cadet

I have a 18' CC with a 90 Opti. I also added two more flush mounts for a total of 6. They are strait stainless that I mounted in the corners of the rear boxes for flat lines. I also added a 3 rod stainless holder to the side of the console. Options I added included Garmin Chartplotter/Fishfinder, VHF, Sony stereo system, washdown, upgraded livewell pump, added a second bilge pump, compass, second deep cycle battery with switch/isolator/combiner, and digital fuel managment. I have also done a lot of prop chasing with the boat to get it where I wanted it to run. I think I went through about 5 props before finding what I wanted. My motor is actually a little high and offers no adjustablity with the way the transom is designed. Im going to be adding bennett tabs within the next couple months. Im not a fan of the smart tabs as they just dont offer what I want. I had to replumb all of the drains. There are some issues you may want to address, which I would be glad to explain more if you needed. I fish this boat up to 30 miles offshore so I like to be as safe as possible. I have fished the hell out of this boat and been stuck in some stuff I sure didnt like and it didnt miss a beat. I could get pictures of anything you might like to see, but will see if I can find some. -Jeff

fireGOD

Cadet

I would like to know about the digital fuel managment and why you replumbed all of the drains. I have the 2006 18' CC w/ yamaha 115 4 stroke, the boat I bought was built by Glassmaster and the boat you bought was built by Bently pontoon. I know Bently changed some of the desgin when they bought them out, just don't know what.

Everywhere I go I get a lot of looks and a lot of questions. Eeveryone loves the boat that ask me about it. Do you get the same?

What prop did you end up with? I had to try 5 or 6 diff. props before I got the right one also.

What is the top speed you get?
Do you get a lot of bow wonder at low speed?

JHolliday

Cadet

I installed a Northstar F210 fuel managment gauge in place of the analog gauge that came with the boat. You probably have the Yamaha digital gauges that will give you the same information my gauge gives if you hook up a fuel transducer. The needle on my gauge would jump around and I never really felt like I knew exactly how much fuel I had. It will also give me trip, gph, total fuel used and is very accurate and gives me a little more piece of mind.

As for the drains. My scupper drains were tied togeather with a T and then to a thru hull in the transom. All I did with those was install a check valve so water wouldnt come back into the boat while two people were on the same side. I installed it right at the thru hull. All the other drains were the real issue. I was about 9 miles off shore and had filled the livewell with some nice live baits. Well we were running between two spots and as we got where we were going I noticed the stern was sitting much lower in the water. I cut on the bilge pump and nothing came out so I opened the pie-eye to check the bilge and it was dry. I them opened the center cooler/box in the back and it was full of water along with both side boxes. My starboard side box houses both of my batteries and they were completely covered by salt water and all the terminals were sizzling. Well I realized the only place it could be coming from was the livewell at 1100 gph, so they filled up pretty quick. What had happened was the drain tube came out of the livewell and a some of the smaller baits swam down it and clogged it up at the thru hull. In other words all the drains are connected to the livewell and then out the transom at one thru hull. I had to bail out all the water and was worried about my batteries being submerged under water for who knows how long. I called the trip and we came back to the house. What I did was isolate the livewell from all other drains so this wouldnt happen again. If I had cut my motor off I probably would have not been able to restart it, being the batteries would have died very quickly. I now have all the drain tied into the scupper thru hull and all utilize the check valve. Its easy to do and could save you some real issues if it ever happened.

Im also not sure of the changes that were made between GM and Bentley. They had a 06' there when I bought mine and I couldnt see any differance except, mine has a white rubrail with a chrome strip and what they call the chrome package. I think all it includes is a stainless 3 spoke wheel, chrome boot stire, and chrome badges.

The prop I ended up going with was a Turbo 2+2 4 blade 13 1/4 x 20. I lost a little on the top end, but picked up at cruise. My top end full of fuel, two people, and about 40 lbs. of gear is 40 mph. I cruise at 30 mph 4000 rpms burning between 5-6 gph depending on conditions. With a Turbo 3 blade 13 1/4 x 21 I was getting 44-45 mph. The boat did wonder at low speed with the 3 blade, but the 4 blade is like night and day and gives much better handling, hole shot, and cruise. I did add a SE SPORT 300 Hydrofoil, which helped out in every aspect including top speed. This would be a better option than the smart tabs in my opinion. It will help get you bow down a lot more than you would expect.

The boat certainly gets its share of looks and questions and I love it considering what I paid for it. I picked this thing up new for less than I was considering on 2 year old pathfinders. Its a great boat for what it is and finish very nice for the price.

JHolliday

Cadet

1217975209.jpg

1217975212.jpg

1217975214.jpg

1217975211.jpg

lane11

Recruit

I just picked up the same boat (2008) with a T top. I am considering putting on bow rails and read somewhere on the net that the gunwales have 3/8 aluminum backing plates beneath them. It didn't mention the year however. Did you encounter them when modifing your boat?
Thx

JHolliday

Cadet

I didnt notice any unless they are in certain areas. I know they arent at the bow or p/s stern gunnels.

lane11

Recruit

Thx.

I'll have to do some poking around. I they aren't there I guess I am cutting some access panels.

FYI Here is the online catalogue that mentions the backing plates.

http://www.yachtopolis.com/pdfgeneral/683.pdf

BTW thx also for the info on the drains...I'm already working on them.

thrasher1121

Recruit

I just bought a 2008 18 ft CC. Yamaha 115 four stroke. Love it. Any advice on where to acquire accessories? I don't think they are still in business. Would love some bow rails and the TTop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

BigB2

Recruit

Hey Guys how are you? I just found this web site and read your post. We have an 08 GlassMaster also. It is pretty much just like the one you yall have. 90 mercury with the chrome package. Those are some nice ideas about changing out the analog style gas gauge, check valves and the hydro foil. I do have a question for you guys though. The door latches on ours are really bad, the pins keep falling out and getting wedged making the hatch very hard to open. I actually broke one on the lake last night. Have you replaced yours or know were I could buy some to replace them? I've checked a few boat dealers in our area with no luck. The place it was bought from was shut down. Anyhow glad to be on this site and looking foward to talking with you.