Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
...to swap notes and stories with. Just picked up a 1973 Tarpon XED in great shap with a nice running (one owner) 165 HP Mercruiser. I'm going to put it in the water this weekend for it's first run under my command. She's all tuned, lubed and ready to go.:)

BTW, I'm in the Carolinas, more or less the home waters of Glassmaster boats and they are still a common sight on the local lakes.

Anyone here a current or former Glassmaster fan?
Here's some fresh photos of mine. Click on the pictures for the full sized pics if you have a fast connection. Pics are large.

Last edited:

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

You have a very spectacular looking Glassmaster. Last month, I bought a 1979 17.5 foot bowrider with a 1975 Merc 1150 and newish trailer. It wasn't a basket case, but did need a lot. This is my 1st boat and I didn't want to spend a lot until I know the level of my use. Anyway, I did a lot of fiberglass repair in the bow section, put in a new floor, new carpet, and new back-to-back seats. It's starting to look OK now. There is still more to do - such as fix some of the running problems and deal with the worn off blue non-foulling paint.
With about 600 lbs of people and gear, the boat goes about 38-40 mph (if the speedo is accurate). I'm hoping that some carb cleaning, slippery paint, and other tweaks will get the speed up to 45, but I really need the out-of-the hole power rather than top end. Right now, it coughs and sputters when going from 1/4 to WOT so that needs to be fixed.
I'll post a picture when it looks nicer.
Thanks
Greg
Frederick, MD

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best of luck to you. It's seems strange there aren't more Glassmaster owners posting here since they did build quite a few good boats in the past. They are building them again but I hear it is a different company.

My main experience with Glassmasters has been them pulling up to my old Ebbtide bass boat to check my license, registration and equipment. Seems the Carolinas got them as Game Wardens boats for many years. ;)

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

I just acquired an old...I think early seventies...glassmaster boat. I don't have a clue as to what model it might be. The serial no. is 85200, it's a V-Hull about 14'. I will see if I can find any other ID on it. I haven't had it but about a week so, if i find out more I'll keep you posted

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love to see it and read more about it.

Here are some more pics of mine just after a test run. Sorry no pics of the test run this time.

chris cross

Cadet

ParallaxBill said:
...to swap notes and stories with. Just picked up a 1973 Tarpon XED in great shap with a nice running (one owner) 165 HP Mercruiser. I'm going to put it in the water this weekend for it's first run under my command. She's all tuned, lubed and ready to go.:)

BTW, I'm in the Carolinas, more or less the home waters of Glassmaster boats and they are still a common sight on the local lakes.

Here's some fresh photos of mine. Click on the pictures for the full sized pics if you have a fast connection. Pics are large.

chris cross

Cadet

my said:
ParallaxBill said:

having a bit of a hard time getting around this sight,so looking for glassmaster owners? i just picked up one that needs a lot of work, 88 s-179 bowrider. im killing my self trying to find a owners manual or some pictures so i can see if i want to put in same seats or get new kind.i had a guy look at it before i bought it and he said that he would give it a death cirt. i on the other hand see a nice looking boat down the road or water should i say. her name is going to be "dang gum" cause just about all of the work to be done to her will be from my hands,and im having a hell of a hard time finding stuff i need for her. anyone have some helpful places i can see or go on the net.her new home will be in the mighty niagara river some day i hope.

ParallaxBill said:

Hey nice looking Glassmaster boat. I too just purchased a 1974 Gulfstream in pretty darn good shape. Its 19ft w/ 165hp Mercruiser inline 6, runs like a singer sewing machine now! Interior is also in great shape. It also had one owner and has sat in an enclosed boathouse for all these years. Its ready to run wild! Need a few parts, mostly hardware, which brought me to this site. Any suggestions? How did the test run go? The boys at Midway Marina on Lk Norman got mine in fine working shape, I would highly recommend them. Need a Glassmaster fan club eh?

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think a Glassmaster Club would be a fine idea. Especially here in the southeast where they are pretty common, even the early ones.

Mine runs fine and the only change I have made is to switch to a 14.5X19 prop from the 13.75x21 that was on it. I had what I thought was a lack of rpms so I bought the shorter pitch prop. I took it out on the lake and found the same rpms. Seems that the previous owner had replaced the light bulb in the tach and got it in too far causing the tach to stop moving at 3500 rpms. I fixed that but have yet to test it on the water again with the shorter prop. I hope to take it to Cane Creek this weekend if the weather does okay.

Glad you found iboats. :)

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice

I recently bought a 1975 Playmate 500X with a 70hp Johnson. Thought I had the pictures saved from Ebay but they expired so I will have to take some new ones. The boat is in excellent shape, original vinyl is all perfect, no hull damage save for a few nicks and scrapes. Hope we attract some more owners to the forum.

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a few of my pics
glass_1.jpg

glass_19.jpg

glass_10.jpg

glass.jpg

glass_15.jpg

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking boat. Late in the summer I came across that one's twin in South Carolina and if I hadn't been in the process of buying mine I would likely have bought it. They sure are classics.:)

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice

There's a twin here too. I have had some problems with the Johnson, but the boat is awesome.

Fellow Glassmasters, I sure have been enjoying my 74 GM, this time of the year is the best. I found all the original covers, bow, stern, the bimini top and side covers to boot! I got a little PHD (personal heating device) I use and it gets very cozy when its chilly. The bow and stern cover have never been used but the cloth zipper parts on the top need repair, shouldnt be a problem for that however. The engine is performing well, just need to replace the bilge pump. Having a little trouble w/ some electrical issues. Just about all the original switches are on their way out, due to age and corrosion but the instruments and dash lighting are fine. Also replaced the original spotlight (was shot) w/ a circa 75-78 Attwood spot, nice and shiney, came right out of box. Oh well, really enjoying my boat, plan to take it the 'vintage boat show' this summer over at Queen Landing. Boat on brothers!

Finally got some pics.

Attachments

• 100_0198.JPG
    55 bytes · Views: 0
  • 100_0199.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 0
  • 100_0200.JPG
  • 100_0201.JPG

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice

Go here for instructions on posting pix. You have to have an outside account on a pic hosting site like Photobucket.

forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=37;gtid=1179789

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey fellas got another glassmaster owner here! 1976 16.5' trihull obviously. 1973 johnson 115 on the back. ive painted it as well as the motor. if i remember ill take some pix tomorrow. do you know where to get a bimini,made specifically for these boats? similar to jadotys' above.?

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

well theres one pic in my user pic. thats flood water from T.S. Ernesto not grass!