Another New Glasply Owner

Hi all,

I just bought a 1978 24' Glasply. It's my first boat. I spent the last two weeks fishing the Columbia River and ocean near that area. Great boat and no complaints so far. I'm interested in the following:

-Adding to the boat to make it a comprehensive, reliable, and safe boat by adding functional equipment while removing the junk.
-Making the boat as original as possible, except for the bullet above.
-Learning as much about Glasply boats as possible.
-All things fishing and Columbia River!

Here's my favorite Glasply webpage so far:

http://www.mauigeosciences.com/Brochure.htm

Cheers!

rodboat

Cadet
Re: Another New Glasply Owner

Glad you like your boat. I just acquired a 2502 Glasply Marauder hardtop boat. I would like to hear how you outfit your boat for ocean going as I plan on doing same for fishing and want it to be a fully equipped boat. rodboat.

Re: Another New Glasply Owner

Here's the quick rundown. Depth finder with the option to link it to a radar. I have an older GPS and we programmed it with Lat/Longs with the CR buoy to Buoy 10. We also programmed Buoy 11 into it. The GPS has tide tables, which I think is essential info. A tidebook can probably fill this need. The boat has a marine radio too. I don't have a radar yet, but I think it's on my list of future purchases.

For fishing, we use downriggers instead of divers. Not sure of your setup, but I have rails about 3 inches above the gunwales. I didn't want to drill holes in the fiberglass. This created a challenge for mounting the rod holder and down riggers. For the rod holders, we used rod holder mounts that were made to go around rails. Same for the down riggers. When the down rigger weights were hanging or in the water, it twisted the rails. We just put a few blocks of wood between the gunwale and rail, and this seemed to minimize the twist. I was ok with this for my first season with the boat since I am trying to avoid drilling until I figure out a final layout.

For safety gear, I carry flares and a flare gun, smoke, a handheld waterproof marine radio, and a survival mirror. Probably overkill, but I had some equipment from kayaking. I prefer redundancy anyway. I also have a couple oars and enough rope for a tow, if needed.
Hope this helps. Good luck with the boat. Let me know how it turns out. Where will you be fishing?