Repowering 20ft glasply

Our family has owned a 1980 Glasply cuddy with a 470 since it was new. The engine's been rebuilt once and outdrive rebuilt twice. I've converted it to an external alternator and pertronics ignition. I've rebuilt or replaced almost every external part on the engine. The boat is sentimental to me so I want to keep it forever. But, it's always been a little underpowered, especially with two many people in the boat. I'm considering re-powering it with a 350 mercruiser and alpha outdrive for a combined weight of about 1200 lbs, or a total conversion to sea drive with perhaps a 250 Yamaha weighing about 500 lbs. Does anyone know how much the 470 with outdrive weighs?

I have exactly the same boat and motor, and have done exactly the same things to it, and I also want a 350. I don't know what the 470 weighs, if you find that out, please let me know. I would prefer the outdrive over the outboards because it's quieter and less expensive, I believe it's a 260hp, don't know if that's at the prop or the crank. Are you going to, or have you converted yours?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Split personality?

Walter, this is your topic from 2010. I should hope its the same boat and motor.....

Have you answered your own question yet? If not, get to it....

Last edited: