1968 Glaspar Citation Fuel Tank Size and Location?

phiednate

Cadet
I recently purchased my first boat, a 1968 Glasspar Citation with a 1990 Johnson 115. The boat is structurally sound and the engine is an awesome shape but the electrical system and fuel system has been rigged to "just get by" which I plan to fix. I have purchased new gauges, wiring and lights and now need to work on the gas tank and fuel lines.

The gas tank it came with (which I assume was original) was a rusted metal tank that I quickly dumped. I would like to purchase a new tank which I can add an external fill point with and attach to my fuel gauge with an electric sender. While I have been on boats my entire life I haven't really ever worked on them. My questions are this:

1.) I noticed there seem to be two type of tank styles "Below Deck Permanent Fuel Tanks" and "Outboard Topside Fuel Tanks". I want a permanent style tank but it wont really be going below deck. The topside tanks all have mechanical fuel gauges where I want an electric one to attach to the gauge. Is there an safety concerns with mounting a below deck tank under the bow or stern in my smaller boat?

2.) Are there any fuel tanks that would mount under the splash guard (correct term?) of my small boat? The are seems pretty limited and I haven't been able to find anything that would fit well with the measurements I took.

3.) Should/could I mount the fuel tank in the bow of the boat? I noticed that some people do and was wondering if it might be a good idea to offset the weight of the larger engine on my smallish boat by moving it up front.

4.) What size tank should I go with for about 6 hours of use with my 1990 Johnson 115? The web has very limited info on this engine and I don't want to buy something too big or too small for how I plan to use it.

Thanks for the help!!