1976 Galaxy - Need Advice

James G.Barnes

Recruit
I'm looking for some advice. I was given a 19ft. 140hp Galaxy inboard/outboard boat. The boat has been stored for 10 years, but it's in really good shape, except the trim wire is rotten and it won't start by key. I had to hot wire it - but it ran great. Unfortunately, the motor won't tilt up, and the trans won't engage. I guess this is because of the tilt switch. Can anyone tell me how to go about fixing the trim wires? Should I replace the bellow and shift cable?

Thanks for the help.
Jim

77GALAXIE

Cadet
Re: 1976 Galaxy - Need Advice

If yours is anything like mine I had to replace the throttle cable. The trans Cable is identicle but was working ok. With time these cables stick and once that happens they have to be replaced. Also check your connection points to the throttle. Again, if like mine, it may have come loose from the mounting bracket. It hooks up much like a bicycle brake. Mine came loose where the exterior part hooks up. I could move it but it was not engaging.

Adam

hippie3C

Cadet
Re: 1976 Galaxy - Need Advice

I had the same problem with my first boat. As far as the trim, you can wire in a new trim switch. If you know where the trim pump is, it has a starter soliniod looking thing on top. A hot wire on one side makes it go up, the other side makes it go down. I wired mine straght to a 3 position toggle switch never had any problems after that. Hope this helps! Good luck!