Freedom 160 advice

PSiedTSi

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

Just heard back from the service shop that my '88 120 Johnson supposedly needs 3 pistons. I haven't really talked to them about it, I didn't get the call, just heard 2nd hand. They want $2500 to do a rebuild or they can sell me something else for that price or more. Seems steep to me, but I seriously do not have the time or patience for ANOTHER project, plus it's June 17th and I can already see the first snow fall coming over the horizon. Anyway, I paid about $2700 for the boat 11-12 years ago from the original owner. It's in good shape for the most part, few ticky-tack things are wrong with it(speedo, depth finder, swim ladder falling off and a small round hole in the ski locker plywood from a mouse one season), but it just got "new" matching seats for the captains chairs(fold down ones) from another 160 and a new USB stereo. Floor is solid and the last time I checked the transom is solid as well.

What should I do? I recently just started getting more involved in the wake sports, so I would really like a bigger/more powerful boat anyway. The motor ran *ok* at the end of the season even tho it "needs" 3 pistons(compression was decent last year). Do I rebuild to sell or just sell it as is? I realize I'm probably going to struggle to get 1-1.5k for it as is, am I right? My next thought was to find a used motor for cheap, but there is nothing around that vintage for a good deal. I was able to find a couple mid-late 90s OMCs in the $1500 range with ****ty boats attached, but I'm not sure if it's worth dealing with a boat I want to throw away. The next, I was able to find a 1980 Johnson 175 semi-locally(about 3.5 hours away) for about $800. Could I even install that on my boat? The plate says "120hp max" but I know that's recommendation not an enforceable rule, depening on state. I pretty much just want to sell it and get the most money to put towards something better, but hassle sucks. Whats your take? I believe in karma very strongly, so I'm not about to not fix the boat and sell it "in water ready" condition to some unsuspecting buyer.

tl;dr 120 johnson needs 3 pistons supposedly, want bigger boat anyway, fix motor for $2500, buy used 1980 175 Johnson or sell as-is.

Thanks for the help!

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Freedom 160 advice

tl;dr 120 johnson needs 3 pistons supposedly, want bigger boat anyway, fix motor for $2500, buy used 1980 175 Johnson or sell as-is.

Your question is more about the motor than the boat. I suggest you ask a moderator to move your post to the Johnson outboard motor forum. You'll get better advice there.

You already seem to know that the price of a used boat is mostly about the motor. If you're happy with your current hull then try to repower it. Do not exceed the rated horsepower since that might get you in several different kinds of trouble, especially if you have insurance on the boat.

Don't worry about the year of the motor. You can use a late model motor on an old boat.