1998 Four Winns listing to the side in at rest in still water

russgrace

Recruit
I recently picked up a new to me 1998 Horizon RS (18'). Is is moored in freshwater lake. Please see the picture. It is noticeably listing to the right. Bilge is dry. I suspect very slow leak maybe hiding water? is this possible. Water logged foam maybe? I am not too familiar with construction of boat is below floor, but looking for some input as to possible causes, how to diagnose, and solutions. Thanks for the help

DSC04899.jpg

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1998 Four Winns listing to the side in at rest in still water

Hey russgrace,

First we'll assume you've checked you loading for balance nd that there are no modifications from "as built at factory" that any PO might have done.

Don't know your model. Do you have two fuel tanks and forgot to fill one?

I'd contact the PO to see if this is new or was existing. Although he may not admit it if he sold it that way.

Yes, you could have water collecting somewhere, and yes foam can get waterlogged and be quite heavy. If you can, get someone with some experience to take a look under the deck.

Sea ya...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iBoats!

I agree with what CaptainKickback wrote.

In addition, I notice the drive is trimmed up while the boat is moored. I suggest you leave the drive trimmed level (almost all the way down) when the boat is stored so the drive bellows is in a neutral, unstressed position. Doing this will prolong the life of the bellows.

This applies whether the boat is stored in the water or on land.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That's quite a list!
Did the PO add a battery and put it on the same side as the original one? If not, then I'd get the boat out of the water and start looking for trapped water. I'm not sure but that model may have hull extensions (sponsons) on either side of the transom and I bet the one on the starboard side is holding water. My boat has a very slight list to the same side but its maybe an inch at most, maybe less. I did add a second battery but put it on the port side to balance out the weight. Water weights 8 lbs a gallon.

I've heard of people having to add a drain plug on those hull extensions to let water out. You might need to get a fiberglass shop to look at it because normally you cannot access that area easily.

Last edited: