1999-2000 FOUR WINNS MODEL 210 Volvo 5.7L. Oil pressure alarm

klenihan

Recruit
1999-2000 FOUR WINNS MODEL 210 boat with Volvo 5.7L. Low oil pressure alarm -the warning beeper sounds on & off and on & off when boat is slowed to under 10 mph after running at higher speeds. Only way to stop beeping is to increase speed again. I have been informed it is a bypass stuck open, or a faulty sending unit, or bad oil pressure gauge, or not correct oil weight/type but no one has been able to fix. I don't recall it occurring the first year but has happened ever since, not every time but most of the time, seem to be at "no wake speed" but not in idle. The boat/engine does not seem to have any other issues running.... more a pain the ears....the alarm :) but does concern me and most of all concerns my guest when it happens. ANYONE have same issue or ANYONE heard of this problem or ANYONE know the fix besides disabling the alarm. Also what would be the correct oil weight/type to use for this engine. If you are able to help resolve issue, there would be a great day out on the lake down here in Dallas for ya ! :) ha Thanks !

maghazadeh

Recruit
Re: 1999-2000 FOUR WINNS MODEL 210 Volvo 5.7L. Oil pressure alarm

I have a 1998-1999 4-winns 220 horizon 5.7L with Volvo penta DP. I have the same problem with low oil pressure at speed below 10 MPH and it does it most of the time after couple of hours running on the water. I started using Amzoil fully synthatic 5W-30 for last 3-4 years and I believe this problem started since. I am not sure but I think the weigth of oil is what causes this. If I find the fix by changing oil to higher weight or any other means I'll let you know. Thanks

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same problem with my 2000 VP 5.0 Gxi. Just bought it last fall and ran for the first time this season yesterday. When I first start the engine at the ramp it buzzes for a few seconds then goes off and show good pressure. After running for a while then stopping and coming to idle it buzzes for a few second then stops. The "idiot" gauge show low pressure sometimes in the red. It does stop after a few seconds and if I turn the engine off for a few minutes it does not alarm after the initial start up. I am running 15W-50 Mobil 1 and I think a Sierra filter but I don't remember.

diggeropaddy

Cadet

Hi
I have a 99 vista 258 and i am experiencing a low oil alarm at no wakes speeds also. We are about to change the oil and add a heavier 30 grade oil and see if this corrects the problem. Would be very interested to hear if anyone else has or had this problem and were able to correct it and how.

Thanks

cu_tiger_06

Recruit

Hello,

I have a 2000 Four Winns Horizon 200 Model with Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi/Sx, and I am having the exact same problem. Once returning to idle after the boat's been on plane for 5 to 10 minutes, dashboard oil pressure indicator drops and the dashboard alarm sounds. It is a loud and constant high pitched alarm that goes on for about 15 seconds and then stops . . . or it stops when I increase the RPMs.

This has been going on for a couple of years now, and after taking it to the shop several times and reading several websites, I don't think there is really an oil problem. It's my understanding that there are two alarms, one in the dashboard which is the sound described in the paragraph above, and one in the engine compartment which is the repeating two second beep that you typically hear when you fist stick the key in the ignition. I've never had the engine compartment alarm go off during the situation described above, which makes me think it is an issue with whatever is controlling the dashboard gauge.

Any ideas? Were you ever able to get this issue resolved? If not, is there anyway to disable the annoying dashboard alarm?

Please, someone come up with an answer!! There are a lot of websites which explain this problem, but no one has been able to provide an answer!!

TL Lake Travis

Recruit

The problem is your Oil Pressure System Sender. Have this replaced and it will take care of the problem.

I Just stumbled across this forum while looking for something else. I have a 2000 Four Winns Horizon 210 and have had this problem since I purchased it 2 years ago. Same exact problem as everybody described above with the low oil pressure indicator. It took 2 separate visits to my boat mechanic for them to figure it out, but it is the sender mentioned above. I had mine replaced for around $250-300 a few months ago and that fixed the problem. Haven't heard the alarm since.

TL Lake Travis

Recruit

If you are able to help resolve issue, there would be a great day out on the lake down here in Dallas for ya ! :) ha Thanks !

It's only a year late, but am I eligible for the day out on the lake in Dallas? I'm up there all the time ;)

cu_tiger_06

Recruit

OK, so I found the oil pressure sending unit mounted on the engine. Black bell-shaped metal part mounted to the top of the engine towards the rear with one blue electrical wire coming off of it. I went on the Volvo website to find out how much it costs to order a new sender for a Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi on a 2000 model Four Winns Horizon 200. Unfortunately, it appears that I have to first purchase a parts catolog just to obtain the part number! Pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Anyone have any idea what the part number would be without me having to drop a substantial and seemingly unnecessary amount of cash on the catolog?

TL Lake Travis

Recruit

The part number is 815425T. Hope that helps

4winnsvince

Recruit

I have the exact same issue with my 2001 Four Winns with a 5.0 Volvo GX engine. My mechanic put a mechanical oil gauge on a lake test last week and tested fine. Oil pressure remained in the 30-60 PSI range throughout the test, even with alarm going off. He believes the condition is caused in the instrument pod. Have already replaced it once, years ago, for an unrelated issue. $350 for a rebuilt unit.
It is a nuisance, listening to the alarm going off every time you go from WOT to idle. Will advise if I find a fix.

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I changed to Volvo 30wt oil this season and I still have the alarm going off. Actually, I think it is worse this year. After a pretty good run, the oil pressure gauge drops very low, the "oil light" comes on, and the alarm starts annoying everyone on the lake. I am wanting to put a mechanical gauge on it and would like to do it permanately on the engine to I can keep an eye on it. I dont like the idea though of adding something else to break or go wrong, so I am still not sold on adding it permanately.

Anyway, I have read it could be some gunk built up in one of the senders, but I find it hard to believe it is both. I mean the alarm goes off AND it shows low oil pressure. My question is, which part should I replace first? The oil pressure sender or the oil pressure alarm switch? Also, where is the best place to hook up a mechanical gauge? I can not get the alarm to go off in the driveway on muffs. I think the water is too cold to get the oil thinned enough. So I need the gauge to be on there while out on the lake.

Thanks for the help

Will

Rford09

Cadet

I have a 98 sundowner with the 5.7 liter Volvo penta motor. I was having the same oil pressure problem as everyone else has stated. This weekend i replaced the oil pressure sender, and it appears to have fixed the problem. I ordered the part from iboats for 28 bucks shipped to the door, about an hours time and I was done. Spent most of the day out on the lake yesterday and the gauge stayed beetween half and a little over three quarters all day. So far so good..

I have a 98 sundowner with the 5.7 liter Volvo penta motor. I was having the same oil pressure problem as everyone else has stated. This weekend i replaced the oil pressure sender, and it appears to have fixed the problem. I ordered the part from iboats for 28 bucks shipped to the door, about an hours time and I was done. Spent most of the day out on the lake yesterday and the gauge stayed beetween half and a little over three quarters all day. So far so good..

I also own and opperate a 1998 245 Sundowner that the oil pressure alarm goes off at idle speeds. can u supply me the part number for the sending unit? 5.7lGSI volvo Penta DP. This has malfunctioned right from the get go. Dealer could not solve promlem.

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sorry, I thought I had updated my situation.

I had too much oil in the crankcase. My engine holds about 6 quarts with a filter change. I had used a vacume pump to pull out the oil while it was warm but was not getting it all out. I would then put six quarts back in and say it was good. Since my drive way is steep, I can only check the oil level in the water. I noticed it being above the mark but did not think much of it. After pulling out my hair over the oil pressure alarm, I took my vacume pump with me on the water and took out probably about 1.5 quarts of oil. Since then, the alarm has not gone off at all. I also had installed a mechanical gauge on the engine and watch it get pretty low with too much oil. But after I took some out, it never got below about 18psi at 600 rpm. The alarm has not gone off since.

diggeropaddy

Cadet

Found the answer to my problem. I changed the sending unit. Problem solved.