180 Horizon Fuse

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's good to be back here on iBoats Forums! For a while it did not work with my browser, but now we're back, and I'm here to stay.

Anyways, on to my problem. We have a 2006 Four Winns 180 Horizon that has been awesome. During a recent 4 - 5 hour trip here in Muskoka, the blower went out completely, with no light on the instrument switch, which led me to believe there was no power to the blower. I called our marina and the maintenance man said it was the fuse and has been a common problem because Four Winns is using a 5A fuse when they should be using a 7.5A fuse. Any other owners with this problem? So I took his advice and have a pack of 5 7.5A fuses on my desk right now. But, are they the right fuse? I have the glass cylinder automotive fuses which seem to closely match the fuses I briefly saw under the driver panel. Are they the correct fuses? Thanks for the help.

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 180 Horizon Fuse

Nevermind, I bought the wrong fuses, but found a local store that stocks the right ones.

prelude93

Recruit

Hi there, from Ottawa. I also just brought a new 2007 180 Horizon. I noticed yesterday my blower also stopped working. It also has a 5A fuse, switched in a second one and it also blew.

I called the Marina where I brought it, and the service fella suggested that the blower motor was seized. The trip to the Marina is just over an hour (it's in Pembroke).

Did the larger fuse work?

Maybe I'll try it first.

Have you had any other problems?

Thanks

prelude93

Recruit

Hi just wanted to leave an update. I truied the larger fuse (7.5 A) and the blower works fine. Not sure why it took 3-4 weeks of boating before the (5 A) couldn't handle the amperage. I'll have to get the dealer to double check everything next time I bring it in.

Cheers

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but yes, the 7.5A fuse works (as you found out). My marina said that the blower in the newer 180s have a higher power requirement than the older systems. Why they didn't account for this with a higher fuse, I don't know. Looks like the little $1 fuse saved you a trip and the cost of a new blower motor!

You said it has taken you 3 - 4 weeks for the fuse to go, it took us almost 2 summers! We mostly boat for 5 - 6 hours on the weekend, but when the fuse finally went, we were on the last 2 hours of a day trip where the blower was mostly on for the whole time.