Just Purchased 1997 Four Winns Horizon, few questions

kev301sam

Cadet
I just purchased a small project 1997 Four Winns Horizon. The factory 4 cylinder was replaced with a V8, 350. I've got it all hooked up and running. I need to hook up the exhaust yet. Would you guys recommend a thru haul exhaust or could I hook it up to the original factory one that's still there? I'm afraid something through haul would be too loud for when the kids are on it. Also, having issues with horn, it keeps blowing a fuse. I've tried high amp fuse and still no luck. Same with the radio, not blowing fuses but not getting any juice to it. Lastly, There is a 19 prop on it now. I also have a 21 prop to put on it. Do you think the 21 will be ok or go higher?

thanks, new to boats so bear with me.

Thanks,
Kevin

Also need new passenger side glass. Any suggestions where to find that at?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What outdrive does it have?

There's no way to know what the correct prop will be without more info and water testing.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Thru hull (not haul) exhaust would not really be necessary for that boat, and as you mentioned not good for family adventures. Even with silencers, probably will be louder than you want.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Thru hull (not haul) exhaust would not really be necessary for that boat, and as you mentioned not good for family adventures. Even with silencers, probably will be louder than you want.

+1, what size boat is this? As said before you need to try it out before changing anything with the prop to get a baseline.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The concern is the outdrive being up to the job of transferring the HP of a V8 to the water and surviving. They use different gears and other parts when going from a low HP 4 cylinder to a much more powerful V8