Where did Four Winns put the fuse for the amp?!?

Miller54z

Recruit
I have a 2008 Four Winns H200 with a Kicker ZX700.5 amplifier that just stopped working during our last day on the water. :( It is not getting power at the amp, and is wired directly to the battery switch and battery ground. I tested both wires for continuity, and the ground is good- however, the power cable is not getting 12V from the battery. Therefore, there is either a break or short in the power cable (which seems very unlikely since it runs in a corrugated plastic sheath with the ground wire- which is good), or a blown fuse (which seems very likely but I can't find it!). :? I'm assuming Four Winns installed an inline fuse somewhere between the amp and the battery, but I have been unable to locate it. I've checked all of the fuses under the dash and well as all of the fuses/circuit breakers in the engine compartment, and none of them pertain to the amplifier (they are all good regardless). The wiring seems to go from the amp (in the bow seat compartment in front of the helm), passes through the hole under the dash and continues under the floor, coming out in the engine bay and to the battery. I have searched every bit of wire that I can see and/or feel, but cannot locate any sort of inline fuse. Is anyone aware of where a fuse may be located for this amplifier? :?:

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi, welcome to iboats!:)

If you happen to still own the boats operational owners manual, sometimes under the electrical section "H" of the manual you can usually get an indication of where to locate fuses for the whole boat including the harder to find fuses. Though I was unable to find the 2008 Horizon owners manual online, I was able to locate the 2007 Horizon owners manual which starting on page 212, they have a few wiring diagrams for the Amplifier Upgrade System as noted in a few copy and paste quotes below...Edit: Better yet, I was able to screenshot the pages for you too.
Hope this helps some, good luck.
HORIZON OPTIONAL WAKEBOARD TOWER AMP HARNESS ASSEMBLY (APPLICABLE MODELS ONLY
Ground: Connect directly to negative 12VDC terminal of battery or distribution block.
Power: Connect directly to positive 12VDC terminal of battery or distribution block.
Some where 50A Fuses but yours should be a 40 AMP Fuse.
Need to know what engine model you have too,
TO STARTER STUD ON V.P (Volvo Penta)
TO BATTERY POSITIVE ON MCM (Merc)
You should also have either one or possibly two 25 Amp fuses going directly into the Amplifier itself near the power wires so be sure to check them as well.
The 40 Amp inline fuse has an image of fuse holder with a cap/cover sort of like this, http://www1.cooperbussmann.com/images/8ef32c7b-c26c-4fd0-b016-471b7f380230.jpg
Here's the manual for you if needed, http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documents/OwnersManuals/2007/Horizion-Manual.pdf

Screenshot (11).png

Miller54z

Recruit
Hi, welcome to iboats!:)

If you happen to still own the boats operational owners manual, sometimes under the electrical section "H" of the manual you can usually get an indication of where to locate fuses for the whole boat including the harder to find fuses. Though I was unable to find the 2008 Horizon owners manual online, I was able to locate the 2007 Horizon owners manual which starting on page 212, they have a few wiring diagrams for the Amplifier Upgrade System as noted in a few copy and paste quotes below...Edit: Better yet, I was able to screenshot the pages for you too.
Hope this helps some, good luck.
Here's the manual for you if needed, http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documents/OwnersManuals/2007/Horizion-Manual.pdf

Thanks for all of the information! Very helpful in tracking this down, and I've been looking for a manual for a while now. I was able to find a 70 amp breaker in a small box next to the battery- on the deck in a very wet location which was obvious from all of the internal corrosion. I noticed this before but it didn't seem like the type of fuse/breaker you would use for an amplifier, and I thought 70 amps was way too much. Funny thing is- the Four Winns dealer shows a 90 amp breaker, and the manual for the amplifier itself recommends a 100 amp breaker! I replaced with an 80 amp breaker to be safe and moved to a higher location out of the water, and all is well. Thanks again for the help.

-Matt