Outboard Powered Formulas (Thunderbird)

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Why is it that with all the "original" brochures scanned and available for viewing at the Formula site....that there is nary a mention of any outboard models.

Are they not "true" Formulas?

Even the NADA listings seem to skip over them.

I know they made them; I own one. Mine was made in Paso Robles California in 1977. The other odd thing about mine in particular...nowhere is there the specifications plate/sticker that should list maximum capacity and horsepower. I can find no evidence of one ever being there anywhere...and my TBird is very original and un-messed with.

What say you?---Are there more OB Formulas out there amongst iboat posters?

There's the boat below. Thanks for reading, Chuck

Attachments

• tbird.jpg
    tbird.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

242ls

Recruit
Re: Outboard Powered Formulas (Thunderbird)

Could that possibly be a custom boat? :confused:

SuperNova

Lieutenant

No, it's a Thundercraft Thunderbird, not a Formula Thunderbird, nice try though. Try searching it on google.
--
Stan

coyedsel

Cadet

I have an 18 foot Formula outboard. 1975. Still a great boat. 115 Evinrude on it. If you go to Formula, on iboats, and click on brochures, you can probably find your boat for that year.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well....I stand very strongly corrected..there was a very interesting article in this month's boat us mag that detailed Formula boat's history and growth...they did indeed make the Thunderbirds in the late 60's and 70's. My error.

jccburt

Recruit

I am looking to buy the exact boat in the picture and put a 200hp Yamaha on it...

wondering if I am crazy...

guess this guy never got his answer and neither will I...

anybody? pretty pls? any info would be great on max HP...

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I found a boat exactly like mine this past summer; right at the local marina.

His boat was made by Thunderbird at their Florida factory; mine was made in California. They looked to be the same hull though.

His had a maximum capacity tag; it said 110 HP Maximum.

Still; I'd like to have more information; such as the weight of the hull. I'm still looking but have found no information on my boat on-line.

It's almost as if the OB models were a different breed somehow. The factory brochures don't show them.

Chuck

I just picked up an '81 Thunderbird Formula One, 17ft. It has a 115 HP Merc Tower of Power outboard - picture attached.

I didn't even know Thunderbird Formula made outboards before seeing this one. Does anyone have any idea how rare these are?

Condition is pretty good but it has been outside the last couple years so I will need to do a bit of interior work.

Thanks,
Kris

Attachments

• 81formulaoutboard.jpg
    81formulaoutboard.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0