Proper motor for 18' Trihull Open Bow Fiberform

Moparkat

Cadet
Newbie to boating so please excuse any terminology issues.
Bought a boat but really paid for a nice EZloader double axle trailer with boat attached :)p). New trim(?)/transom motor that needed tightening.
So the boat is an 18' 1974 Fiberform trihull open bow with 1981 140hp Johnson. I can't read the plaque next to the wheel to tell what size motor this should have on it. Nor how many people can ride in it. It was kind of a "some assembly required" type of boat. Got seats built for it - redneck style. Have plenty of extra seats - enough for another big boat.
Replaced impeller and it ran great in the yard. Of course had earmuffs on.
Took her out and one shot it took off great then tried again and it would not move out. I only can compare to a car so bare with me. Full throttle forward after warm up but as if the pedal didn't act like it was all the way down. Rear of boat almost buried in water. Swamped rear of boat. Would not take off at a decent speed and had the huge wall of water following us.
First - is the 140 okay for this boat? They just used it for fishing and we want to use it for skiing and fishing.
Second - why was the rear so much in the water?
Many thanks

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Proper motor for 18' Trihull Open Bow Fiberform

HEY Moparkat i would sayWAY TO BIG maybe 80-100 -as far as seating i would guess 6 safely [THAT'S WHAT I THINK ]

Moparkat

Cadet

So finally I figure out the plaque on the dash. Rated to up to 150hp. Can carry up to 1795lbs so 8 people?
Now to get motor up and running as broke part in shifter case.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

That go's to show you what i know,:redface:Glad you got the right info. ENJOY:cool: