1975 16' Fiberform Deck repair problem

jim1940

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1975 fiberform boat which I am trying to refurbish to a modest condition. I have no experience with boats per say, but do have modest mechanical skills. When repaired I intend to make the boat a gift to my son.
The problem that faces me is after removing the old vynel deck covering I found numorous cracks in the decks surface material.
Question: 1. What will I find under the fiberglass, if and when it is removed?
2. Should I remove the whole deck or repair the cracks?
(The cracks appear to be mainly located in the rear 2 feet of the
deck by the O/B motor).
3. Can anyone inform me what the Fiberform boat deck supporting
substructure is made from...wood, fiberglass, other etc.?
I hope to keep the costs as low as possible. All insights into this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks jim1940

Sidserv

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1975 16' Fiberform Deck repair problem

I just completed the deck/stringer/transom replacement on my 1973 Fiberform. The job unfortunately was not fun. With cracking in the glass you most likely have a rotted out floor. The foam under the floor is probably saturated which in turn you probably have rotted stringers/transom. The stringers on my 73 were sprayed in with a chopper gun and the tops were not sealed. I am guessing yours is the same. I am suprised they were still attached to the boat.

Cpt Crunch

Cadet
Re: 1975 16' Fiberform Deck repair problem

Sidserv, we just inherited a 1968 16' Fiberform boat with a Marc 500 50HP of the same vintage. This thing should fly across the water, but it's like a slug, never quite reaching plane. You mentioned the hull is foam filled? I drilled a hole in the bottom of the transom to see if there was water in there. Alas, it's been 3 hours and I now have about 3-4 gallons of water in the bin I put under it. I've thought about sliding a giant auger up the hole to fracture the foam, but it sounds like the boat receives some kind of strength from it as it is.

Since you seem to know about them - and anyone else who can chime in on this - barring completely replacing the floor, what do you think my options are?

I just completed the deck/stringer/transom replacement on my 1973 Fiberform. The job unfortunately was not fun. With cracking in the glass you most likely have a rotted out floor. The foam under the floor is probably saturated which in turn you probably have rotted stringers/transom. The stringers on my 73 were sprayed in with a chopper gun and the tops were not sealed. I am guessing yours is the same. I am suprised they were still attached to the boat.