New Member Check In

Jim Ramey

Recruit
Hello there,

We own a 16 ft Fiberform closed bow runabout. It is powered by a 1969 Hydroelectric Johnson 85H V-4. Mostly white with baby blue top. Has a canvas rain flap. Sort of necessary here in Western Washington.

Been reading all sorts of posts on these message boards. Found iboats searching for what to call the handle that broke off last Saturday out on American Lake. Trottle handle on the controller. Duh. Interesting though to read recurring questions on this odd type of motor. Maybe not so much the motor or power head but the electric shifting mechanizm.

Fairly innocent as far as marine mechanical things go. Been getting out spin fishing on local lakes with a Pleasurecraft fiberglass jon boat and a electric kicker. Electric kicker replacement part is a new one. Now that I've clicked around here I gather this 252 pound Johnson is nearly fourty years old and had a short production cycle.

The motor had been gone through and overhauled by the previous owner. He had another boat just like ours. Understand his wife didn't like to fish so their other one was set up for speed cruising around on Puget Sound.

Went to Specialized Marine as recommended by the former owner. Nice knowledgable gent there looked up the part in his array of catalogs. Two slight problems one the phone company had cut off his long distance so he couldn't call the wholesale place to ascertain stocked availability. Second the plastic handle price was $14. when minimum order had to be $20.

Took his advice to try to Angler's Marine. Sort a combination repair and secondhand boat place. They said bring in the boat and we will match what you got. Sure enough after digging through a pile of Johnson/Evenrude controllers unsuccessfully. The service tech said he had one more place to look. Out back they had another 16 foot Fiberform same boat with the only apparently salvagable part left on it my "new" controller box.

Called back to Specialized and he said that these handles are still available new. Explained gardening concept of green thumb being successful while black thumb would the opposite. How my mechanical ability would fall into the latter catagory. He was real encouraging that this handle swap will be easy enough so long as I don't hit anything with a big hammer.

Sure enjoyed searching the archives of this multitude of messages. Pretty much found answers to all the questions that come to mind. Appears that our boat was cataloged as a "Delta" model.

Warm Regards,
Jim Ramey

Ronnie_P

Cadet
Re: New Member Check In

Hi. I too am a new member. I am currently restoring a 1979 sportsman. The boat is completly tore down with all wood removed. Im trying to decide how best to build the stringers. Anyone with experience in this particular model that can give me feadback would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, have a good one.

kevin58

Recruit

Hi. I too am a new member. I am currently restoring a 1979 sportsman. The boat is completly tore down with all wood removed. Im trying to decide how best to build the stringers. Anyone with experience in this particular model that can give me feadback would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, have a good one.

Ito am a new member I have a73 fiberform with 77 evin I am in the middle of trying to take out the plywood floor that is wet drilled holes in the floor and foam is wet to going to replace it all I dont know what model it is but it is 16.5 ft with a windsheld traded it for a 72 slickcraft 22ft omc stren drive,the upper case on the sterndrive bad you dont even want to go there unless you have an extra 3,000 oh well just though i would share

tiki

Cadet

Just acquired a 77 Fiberform cuddy cab, 19.5 foot. Unsure of the model, I believe it to be a 1914. Solid and dry but needs most everything else. I have restored an 67 Owens, a 72 Howard flatbottom and a 82 28ft Bertram in the past. This is my most agressive restore yet. I joined the forums to seek some advice and share what I know. As most of you have found out Fiberforms are somewhat hard to find out anything about and even harder to find parts for. Boat and Trailer cost $500 and looking at a budget of $1500 to restore, son and I doing most of the labor.

acesfull757

Recruit

Hello all "just moved in"

I just picked up 1969 15 fiberfoam closed bow spokane with bimi and 75hp evinrude (spokane is stamped on the emblem) so i assume that is model of the boat?? anyway i am going to try restore it but i need to by something i cant seem to find a good looking one on the internet the only ones that pop up are really in bad shape sooo if anybody out there that has one that is restored or know a website that i can surf i would appreciated it.

joe

BATTLEMATE

Recruit

Hi, I am in the middle of buying a 1971 18 foot Fiberform runabout. It has the Mercury 120 hp original motor, and stern drive. I am thinking about updating the motor to a 4.3 L, which will be putting out about 100 hp more than the original.

Never been in a boat motor boat before, and just moved here to Montana 5 months ago. So everything is new!

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the forums:welcoming: